How to get safe, realistic banana flavor in stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
Wife wanted a Bananas Foster stout, so I began with a base that I believed would work well. I used some brown sugar in the boil and also a touch of WB-06 yeast and I ended up with a tasty, slightly banana-sweet base beer to build up with dessert adjuncts. The batch size is 1.25 gallons. I had a dram of Lorann Banana Creme flavoring and 1 oz of Almond extract as well as some banana flavored rum (half a shooter) that all of the above I poured into secondary. The aroma is explosive - but the flavor comes across moderately antiseptic with zero sweetness.

I'm wondering if throwing some banana peels into the secondary bucket would be my ticket here, or if that's even safe to risk due to contamination.

Thanks!

Wife wanted a Bananas Foster stout, so I began with a base that I believed would work well. I used some brown sugar in the boil and also a touch of WB-06 yeast and I ended up with a tasty, slightly banana-sweet base beer to build up with dessert adjuncts. The batch size is 1.25 gallons. I had a dram of Lorann Banana Creme flavoring and 1 oz of Almond extract as well as some banana flavored rum (half a shooter) that all of the above I poured into secondary. The aroma is explosive - but the flavor comes across moderately antiseptic with zero sweetness.

I'm wondering if throwing some banana peels into the secondary bucket would be my ticket here, or if that's even safe to risk due to contamination.

Thanks!
Most intelligent monkeys peel the banana before eating, just sayin...

For banana aroma and flavour, I would use a hefe yeast ( WB-06 is not a hefe yeast. It's diastaticus and could work for American Wheat, but barely ) and ferment it warm. Maybe dd some overripe bananas, but not the peels. The peels will not get you any banana aroma or flavour. Have you tried chewing on banana peels? Most times they have a specific sour/bitter kind of flavour.

Go easy on the specialty malts, and add enough to hit around 30 SRM. Flavoring can help. If it's quality flavoring, it might not taste artificial.

I might actually split a batch... ferment part of it with a clean yeast and the other part with a Hefe yeast (3068, underpitch, ferment at 72) and then blend the two to taste. Even mixing a small amount of POF+ yeast into a clean ferment the clove/banana will take over and most likely you’ll get more clove than banana. Fermenting then in separate containers allows you to have much more control over the final flavor/aroma and allows you to optimize each fements temp. 3068 is better warmer but a clean strain won’t be.

I had a dram of Lorann Banana Creme flavoring and 1 oz of Almond extract as well a
Thanks!

Way overkill that's your antiseptic taste 1 dram I use that in 5 gallons then a full ounce of almond extract on top of it is just way to much for that small of a batch

Was curious, can you zest a banana like an orange? - No

Latest posts

Back