How to get refrigerator and freezer to open together on kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I have a upright fridge converted to a kegerator. I am limited to the standard plastic faucet handles because anything taller would get pushed open if I opened the fridge. I was wondering what others have done in this situation. I can't be the only one that has had this problem before.

I was thinking I could get two pieces of stainless flat iron, and have it cut and two recessed screw holes in it. Then screw them to each side of the refrigerator door. Unfortunately I don't have access to the tools necessary.

I mounted my faucet a little lower to allow for handles that are a little taller to clear the freezer door. So far I have made a handle that will fit and look more custom than the plain black handles. Still can't fit any of the taller handles. I saw on another thread that someone attached a tab to the freezer door that engaged the fridge door when they opened the freezer, but still allowed the fridge to open independently.

I mounted my faucet a little lower to allow for handles that are a little taller to clear the freezer door. So far I have made a handle that will fit and look more custom than the plain black handles. Still can't fit any of the taller handles. I saw on another thread that someone attached a tab to the freezer door that engaged the fridge door when they opened the freezer, but still allowed the fridge to open independently.

That is sort of what I was thinking about doing. Just don't have any way to execute it.

It could be as simple as a flat or bent piece of sheet metal attached to the freezer door with a couple of self tapping screws. It would need to be thick enough to stand up to the force of opening the refrigerator door, of course.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399343555.117543.jpg

I have a upright fridge converted to a kegerator. I am limited to the standard plastic faucet handles because anything taller would get pushed open if I opened the fridge. I was wondering what others have done in this situation. I can't be the only one that has had this problem before.

I was thinking I could get two pieces of stainless flat iron, and have it cut and two recessed screw holes in it. Then screw them to each side of the refrigerator door. Unfortunately I don't have access to the tools necessary.

Or, in the mean time you could tie the handles together with a string, shoelace or even a neck tie.

It would be easy with some aluminum angle, ( 1-1 1/2 leg or so),attached to the edges of the fridge door, from top to bottom, secure with pop rivets and some epoxy, attach your existing handle on top of the angle, if it does not already clear.
Paint to match.

It would be visible though.

To do it "invisibly", you would need a piece of aluminum "T" extrusion, whose legs would span the gap sufficiently between the fridge and freezer doors, full width.

Then ya' gotta' deal with the seal interfering with the attachment.

Go buy some tools while you're picking up that aluminum angle...........;)

It would be easy with some aluminum angle, ( 1-1 1/2 leg or so),attached to the edges of the fridge door, from top to bottom, secure with pop rivets and some epoxy, attach your existing handle on top of the angle, if it does not already clear.
Paint to match.

It would be visible though.

To do it "invisibly", you would need a piece of aluminum "T" extrusion, whose legs would span the gap sufficiently between the fridge and freezer doors, full width.

Then ya' gotta' deal with the seal interfering with the attachment.

Go buy some tools while you're picking up that aluminum angle...........;)
I really dont care about the invisibility part, I just dont want it to look like crap. I was thinking the epoxy route but didnt know if there was an epoxy that would secure metal to metal.

Some refrigerators have a hole on the door opposite side the hinge with a cap. This is so you can reverse the hinge and have the right hand or left open. Just put a short piece of threaded rod in the hole to pin the door together.

Some refrigerators have a hole on the door opposite side the hinge with a cap. This is so you can reverse the hinge and have the right hand or left open. Just put a short piece of threaded rod in the hole to pin the door together.

Great idea. Ideally though I would like to have it so the freezer only opens when you open the freezer and not when you open the fridge as well.

Great idea. Ideally though I would like to have it so the freezer only opens when you open the freezer and not when you open the fridge as well.

This looks like your best bet then:

It could be as simple as a flat or bent piece of sheet metal attached to the freezer door with a couple of self tapping screws. It would need to be thick enough to stand up to the force of opening the refrigerator door, of course.

197702-how-get-refrigerator-freezer-open-together-kegerator-imageuploadedbyhome-brew1399343555.117543.jpg

Usually the door seal doesn't go all the way to the edge of the door. All we need to do is make our angle piece just wide enough that it misses the seal on the fridge door.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399405992.474618.jpg

If you have room between the doors use an angle with a short leg (1/2") on top of the fridge door and bottom of the freezer door then there is no problem with the seals.Of course the angle on the fridge door goes just in front of the angle on freezer door.

Two thoughts:

This thing does not need to be strong enough to open the refrigerator door, it only needs to be strong enough to make the person pulling on the freezer door to realize that they need to do something else (open the refrigerator door) to get the freezer door open.

Instead of going for something invisible, also consider something that is visible, but not an eyesore. I'm thinking a piece of right angle metal or possibly even plastic that is the full width of the door attached to the top of the refrigerator door and is tall enough to block the freezer door from opening. You could paint the front to match the appliance finish, or maybe put some stained wood molding over it so it looks nice. Or, how about a piece of stainless steel mounted behind the taps that is tall enough to block the freezer door from opening?

I really dont care about the invisibility part, I just dont want it to look like crap. I was thinking the epoxy route but didnt know if there was an epoxy that would secure metal to metal.

There are plenty, you just need it clean and roughed up if you wish to use epoxy only, ( paint removed in the area to bond), Or as I mentioned, use some Pop rivets, and just clean and scuff the paint in the bond area.

Hold your angle up where you want it, lay out your holes for your rivets, take it down and "deburr" your holes, hold it back in place and mark the bond area, mask that area with tape,clean and scuff both pieces, mix epoxy and coat it, and install some rivets.

It won't look like crap, if you don't make it look like crap.

All you'll see is an aluminum angle riveted to the edge.

Probably your easiest way out unless you have the ability to bend up the hidden angle pieces that you seek.

Buy some tools!............;)

Latest posts

Back