How to fix a hoppy hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordiesel69

Reaction score
We brewed a Hefeweizen and the problem is we used too much fresh grown hops as an offset. (did not know the alpha content) We have a 5 gal corney and would like to doctor it up to make it drinkable. Any ideas?

If it's too bitter, perhaps add 8oz-12oz fruit puree to take the edge off (pomegranate, apricot, cherry, etc)

This is a very good suggestion and the option I'd choose. Germans serve some beers like Berliner Weiss styles with a side of syrup like woodruff (green herb) or raspberry.

The other option would be to blend another less hopped Hefe beer with this one but that may be complicating things in your situation.

So you have peaked my interest, what kind of fruits best offset the hops in this case. I can taste the bannana clove flavor, but it also has a punch to the face of hops. I would like to choose wise on the fruit that would best offset. I like ALL fruits so no issues there.

As a follow up, we added 16oz mango smoothie (100% organic), and a syrup we made from strawberry and peaches. It turned the beer a horrific orange color, but smoothened it right out and it is now very drinkable. It will never be made again, but I wish this mistake was made during the summer as it would be a refreshing summer brew.

As a follow up, we added 16oz mango smoothie (100% organic), and a syrup we made from strawberry and peaches. It turned the beer a horrific orange color, but smoothened it right out and it is now very drinkable. It will never be made again, but I wish this mistake was made during the summer as it would be a refreshing summer brew.

Glad you salvaged your beer! The color sounds like it may not be appealing, but think of all the green beer that will be consumed soon. Not too pretty either!:D

I just now transfered my hefe into the secondary and realized that I also over hopped my Hefe. I also had some homegrown hops that I didn't know the alpha acid which caused my problem. Thanks for the ideas! I just might add 5lbs of frozen raspberries. Gonna taste it in a couple weeks and see where it's at and then make the decision. Cheers! :mug:

Back