How to do It in Europe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francesco

Reaction score
Hi all
I really need your help to understand something on gluten free home brewing and to start my first batch.

A brief summary of my story (if you are interested...):
I come from Italy (this is why my english is so bad...) and I start with A+G brewing of "normal" beer.
Then I think it's from almost two months that I am studying to prepare a gluten free beer for my girlfriend.

My understanding of the process
Basically I think it is suggested (or it is the only way...) to use both SEBAmyl BAL and SEBAmyl L (also with malted grains).

My problem
I can't find in Europe these products.
Possible solution
I found these enzymes online :
BREWMIX PLUS
MATS L CLASSIC
AMIGASE® MEGA L
BREWERS COMPASS

My question
Can anyone help me to understand if I can replace the classic SEB product with something that I can find in Europe?
Or if It's possible to do it without enzymes (maybe with longer rest in step mash...)

Thank you all,

Francesco

Is your plan to use unmalted grain, or do you have malted millet, buckwheat and/or rice?

Actually I'm trying to malt some rice, just for test... my target is to use millet ( but I can't find in Europe already malted, so I think I have to do it by myself...).

Because if I can't find malted grains or enzymes the problem is the same... for what I read in this forum.

Thanks for the reply

After a quick search on those ingredients, I found Alphamayl SB1, which is made of Bacillus Licheniformis, which is the same as Termamyl. A lot of us here use Termamyl rather than SEBAmyl BAL, for the first step of the mash. Alphamyl SB1 is made by ENDOZYM, the same company that makes brewmix plus, so maybe you can purchase it? As far as a substitute for Sebamyl-L in the second step, see if you can find Diatase Enzyme anywhere. It's more likely to be sold by home brew supply shops.

Back