How to cut top completely away from keggle without a torch/plasma cutter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badmajon

Reaction score
C2A0EA06-5EED-4F90-8847-5EC2E8E91C7A.jpeg
Any ideas on how to remove this extra metal from the top of my keggle? I only have an angle grinder

I would use the angle grinder with a cut off wheel from the inside leaving a little extra and finishing the opening with a flap disk.

You can cut and grind w your angle grinder and remove the lip...

You can cut around the keg and remove the top chine for a complete open top, then bolt some handles on and make it more like a kettle...

But in the end you will still have a keg re purposed into a kettle that is too heavy w a bottom chine that makes a marginal brew kettle.

My suggestion is to sell as is for $50 bucks and buy a shiny new concord 15 gal kettle w lid on eBay for 90 bucks....

Much easier less sparks and overall a much better vessel for brewing beer for net 40 bucks...no need to buy cut off wheels flap disks and no sparks in the face lol

Jmo...I don’t feel kegs make good kettles for many reasons.
Sorry jmo

Anyone else think kegs make bad kettles? I’ve had this thing since 2011 and I never even thought of it.

I think kegs make great kettles, but that’s my opinion.

All my vessels are converted kegs but I also didn’t cut all the way to the edge either, why are you cutting that much off?

I want to remove it so I can better fit a biab basket or if I decide to stick with bags, the bags won’t tear on the lip that remains on the keggle.

However after looking at prices for a custom made keggle sized biab ss basket, id probably save money by getting an off the shelf kettle/biab basket combo.

Are you planning to convert it to RIMS or Herms? If not, you'd be better off using a cooler to mash in IMO.

I have a keggle but only use it as a HLT and occasionally a BK. I've never mashed in it. Not sure how well it would hold temps and my cooler does a great job of that.

I replaced my keggle with a 20gal tri-clad-bottom kettle and my experience is that the kettle comes to a boil much faster than the same volume in the keggle.

Not familiar with an “off the shelf, kettle / BIAB basket combo”

If you finish smooth the cut edge of your keggle, you can BIAB with it as is. I make a keggle bag that is tapered such that the bottom of the bag is much narrower than the top, helping to remove the grain bag from the smaller opening w/ typical keggles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back