How to cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerryhz

Reaction score
I have never "cold-crashed" a brew before. Read that it suppose to make the beer clearer by cold crashing the fermenter one or two days before bottling/kegging.

Any advise on how to cold crash it and why is strongly suggested?

I cold crash at 36 degrees for 2 days before bottling/kegging. I actually set my thermostat to do a gradual cool down so it's likely only at 36 or near that temp for less than 6 hours or so.
It's really made an enjoyable difference in the quality of my beers.

I cold crash at 36 degrees for 2 days before bottling/kegging. I actually set my thermostat to do a gradual cool down so it's likely only at 36 or near that temp for less than 6 hours or so.
It's really made an enjoyable difference in the quality of my beers.

So when cold crashing (I plan on leaving fermenter outside my home since temperatures are between 34F-40F this time around in Chicago, of course will make sure it doesnt rain on those days), is it recommendable to bring up it up to temperature prior to bottling or bottle straight away after the cold crash?

It will take awhile to lower the temp of 5 gal of beer. So I usually give it at least 2 days as cold as I can get my fridge. If it is a light beer that I really want clear I will add gelatin about 24 hours before I plan to bottle.

I have a small fridge that I use as my fermentation chamber. I use an STC1000 based controller to control the temp. When it comes time to cold crash, I just set the STC1000 to 1.7c and let it bring the temp down. It usually takes a day or two to stabilize 5 gallons of beer to that temperature. I let it sit like that for a minimum of 5 days. So a total of about 7 days from the start of the crash. The idea behind the crash is to eliminate the chill haze and to drop the yeast out of suspension. I keg, so I'm not concerned about leaving yeast for carbonation. you can also help your beer's clarity by using Irish Moss, or similar 15 minutes before the end of the boil and chilling the wort as fast as possible after the boil. I've used gelatin a few times, but haven't mastered the process and tend to get jello clumps, so I just crash for a longer period.

So when cold crashing (I plan on leaving fermenter outside my home since temperatures are between 34F-40F this time around in Chicago, of course will make sure it doesnt rain on those days), is it recommendable to bring up it up to temperature prior to bottling or bottle straight away after the cold crash?

No need. Just transfer to bottling bucket and go for it.

I usually cold crash for 3 days @ 31°. I did, however, let it go for 2 1/2 weeks once (life got in the way). My biggest concern was whether or not there would be enough yeast left in the beer to carb the bottles. There was. It was fully carbed in a week.

cover the top with sanitized foil to avoid suckback...stick it in the fridge.... whenever you are ready after a couple of days bottle or keg it..... no formula or technicalities.. just get it cold for a few days.

Like they said, it's fine to bottle or keg cold. Might take a few days longer to carb is all.

Since I've started cold crashing (usually for 3-7 days depending on what I'm doing) and adding gelatin to primary afterwards or to keg when kegging my beer has become super bright and clear. Can't stop looking at things through it especially in sunny weather outside on the patio.

Set my chest freezer (fermentation chamber) w/ STC 1000 to 32-34F, remove airlock and place sanitized foil, or just remove the movable piece from the airlock and put the lid back on.

Gelatin in primary, keg after a few days or rack onto the gelatin in the keg. The cooling and gelatin augment each other perhaps. That appears to be the consensus. Although I know Biermuncher advocates adding gelatin to non-chilled beer. (I could be wrong on that)

Latest posts

Back