How to check OG in a partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I usually just check OG at then end of my boil with extract added. I'm doing a brown ale and want to check my mash efficiency so I can adjust how much dme to add to be on target to my OG in case of bad mash efficiency.

I do a full boil, so can I do my mash and top up the kettle to 6 gals and take a reaDing?

I'm thinking I could remove the dme in my beer smith recipe and it would give me the OG just for my grains to compare. Will that work?

Thanks in advance.

That sounds like the way you'd do it. I haven't, but the way you describe it should give you a comparison from which you could extrapolate efficiency.

Thanks. I'm doing an American brown and want to make sure it doesn't turn out being a mild ;)

It sounded like a logical way to figure out efficiency to decide how much dme to add.

Of course my wyeast 1968 ESB may have other plans...

This worked perfectly. I found I was 6 points under my predicted mash OG so added an extra 1/4 lb of dme to my recipe and got my 1.060 OG I was looking for.

Back