How to carbonate a non-backsweetened cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diptherunner

Reaction score
Hey all, I am total rookie brewer. I've got a batch of dry cider that I want to bottle and carbonate. Can someone give me a definitive and hopefully experienced answer on how to do it without pasteurizing it ? It's hit final gravity and has been sitting for about 2 months. I'd like to give it another month and then carb it. Thanks in advance everyone!

You would carbonate it as you would any beer. Dissolve sugar into water. Put the mix in your bottling bucket. Rack your cider on top to blend them. Then bottle and cap. Store at room temp for a few weeks then drink and enjoy.
For beer generally 1oz of sugar per gallon will give approx 2.5 volumes of co2. You should use a priming calculator to figure out the proper amount of sugar to use if your looking for a specific volume of co2.

Piggybacking on the cider thread. Was I supposed to boil my cider before pitching yeast? I pitched directly onto fresh cider....

I get a good carb from an SG boost of 0.003-0.004 for the whole batch or about 1.2oz of sugar per gallon.

Hey all, I am total rookie brewer. I've got a batch of dry cider that I want to bottle and carbonate. Can someone give me a definitive and hopefully experienced answer on how to do it without pasteurizing it ? It's hit final gravity and has been sitting for about 2 months. I'd like to give it another month and then carb it. Thanks in advance everyone!

Prime & bottle just like you would beer. This will help:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter11.html
Regards, GF.

Back