How to carb for stout faucet - what works for you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanAm

Reaction score
My first attempt was an epic fail. Carbed with CO2 to 1.2 volumes, then switched the keg over to 25/75 beeg gas mixture at 30 psi. Liquid line is 9 feet of 3/16 tubing. It's a taprite stout faucet with a restrictor plate. I checked the restrictor plate and it is seated correctly.

100% foam in first, second, third and every subsequent glass. Tried shutting off the gas and purging, purging, purging until the wasn't any sound of gas escaping the keg. Re-hooked up beer gas. Still 100% foam every glass. It would eventually settle into beer but obviously isn't working right. So I took it off the stout faucet and put it back on CO2 on a regular faucet and at least it poured correctly.

I'm kegging a stout tonight that I'd like to serve in two weeks. What has worked for you to have your stout pour like a Guinness?

Thanks!

Isn't 30psi way high? I haven't tried beer gas yet, but I thought the main idea of the nitrogen was to pressure the beer for pouring without causing the carbonic acid flavor change. I would turn the gas off and pour a few pints into a pitcher until it starts to flow correctly and then turn the gas back up until it starts to barely hiss only when pouring, and then you have found what your target pressure will be going forward.

Ignore my suggestion and listen to experience, but that would be my strategy if I was wasting foam.

30 psi isn't way high for beer gas. It's possible to actually have the beer gas pressure set too low for the carb level -see the FAQ tab on this page - although if you were really at 1.2 vols it shouldn't be (what is the temp of the beer?).

I also use a 75/25% mix, and I dispense with beer gas around 28 psi, so I carb in the same fridge with 7 psi of straight CO2. That's about 1.8 vols at my serving temps, which I know sounds high from what other folks seem to use, but this has worked well for me so I'm not going to change.

Thank you chickeypad. I'm more or less guessing about the 1.2 vol as I had it on gas at room temp for a while before putting it in the kegerator on 10 psi at 39F. But good to know about possibly raising the beer gas pressure to decrease the foam. That link was very informative by the way. I didn't realize each gas acted as if alone.

In the past when "balancing" your system, how long between pressure changes would you need to wait before pouring the next glass?

Thank you chickeypad. I'm more or less guessing about the 1.2 vol as I had it on gas at room temp for a while before putting it in the kegerator on 10 psi at 39F. But good to know about possibly raising the beer gas pressure to decrease the foam. That link was very informative by the way. I didn't realize each gas acted as if alone.

In the past when "balancing" your system, how long between pressure changes would you need to wait before pouring the next glass?

10 psi at 39* is 2.34 vols, I think you're just overcarbed for the level you've got the beer gas at. I didn't really take any time balancing so can't speak to your question, I went with 1/4 the pressure I planned to dispense the beer gas at from the start and since it worked I've haven't changed the process.

30 psi isn't way high for beer gas. It's possible to actually have the beer gas pressure set too low for the carb level -see the FAQ tab on this page - although if you were really at 1.2 vols it shouldn't be (what is the temp of the beer?).

I also use a 75/25% mix, and I dispense with beer gas around 28 psi, so I carb in the same fridge with 7 psi of straight CO2. That's about 1.8 vols at my serving temps, which I know sounds high from what other folks seem to use, but this has worked well for me so I'm not going to change.

Hope this isn't off topic.

I'm looking at a nitro setup for my next big purchase. Are you saying you're serving pressure for your other co2 only beers is at 7psi? The way I'm interpreting your post is....if my serving pressure is at 12psi for the co2 only beers, then my beer gas pressure should be around 4 times that, which would give me the same 12psi for the co2 portion. So my nitro pressure should be set at 48psi. Correct?

Or

Is it that you're just carbing a keg, via "set and forget", at 7psi for a couple of weeks before finally putting it to the nitro?

I have most of my beers around 2.5-2.6 vols (14 psi at 42-43*F) and use a secondary that I keep at 6-7 psi for carbing beers going on the stout faucet and for filling with the beergun.

10 psi at 39* is 2.34 vols, I think you're just overcarbed for the level you've got the beer gas at.

Looks like I should have rechecked the internet instead of going by memory. Those numbers definitely show more than the 1.2 vol I thought I was getting! Thanks for straightening that out for me.

How long would you keep it at 7 psi CO2 before moving over to the beer gas?

I went thru a detailed explanation of how to figure out the correct beer gas pressure to use for a specific carb level and serving temp in a thread here.

In order to pre-carb to low CO2 volumes, you are better off force carbing at room temp, since at colder temps you might need negative CO2 gauge pressures.

Brew on :mug:

I also use a 75/25% mix, and I dispense with beer gas around 28 psi, so I carb in the same fridge with 7 psi of straight CO2.

I did this and (drum roll please) it turned out perfect. Very pleased! Thanks for all your help.

So I don't use any co2. I take the racked keg, purge the air out with beer gas 75/25% then carb it at 35 psi for about a week. I get good pours after about a day and perfect cascading bubbles like guinness after 1-2 weeks sitting. I don't leave the gas on so only add gas as needed when I notice it not pouring as well. Has worked well for the last 6 or so nitro stouts I have done..

Back