How to add sweetness to beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine

Reaction score
Been trying to clone Uinta Sum'r for a while now and can't get it right. Got the golden ale part down and got the sorachi hops down but how do they get the mild sweet/creamy finish? Tried vanilla. Tried lactose. Neither of those. Maybe honey malts?

I"ve never had that beer, so I'm not sure how sweet you want to go, or the character of the sweetness. But a good place to start is crystal malts or honey malt. A darker crystal malt is more "toffee" sweet, while a light crystal malt is caramel sweet. Honey malt is definitely honey sweet. That would be what I'd try.

thanks! Beer is a great summer beer. Light. Just a hint of the Sorachi hops but has an interesting sweet/cream aftertaste that last for just a moment.

I'd try the honey malt (6-8 oz or so) and about 8 oz of flaked oats for the creamy-ness

Lower attenuating yeast strain and lower carbonation also increase the perception of sweetness.

Latest posts

Back