How the #*@k do you remove oetiker clamps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGTSparty

Reaction score
I noticed when setting up my new 4 body regulator in my kegerator last night that one of my gas lines leaks at the QD. I bought it pre-assembled with tube attached by oetiker clamp to a barb/swivel nut which screws into the QD. But now its leaking and i'm pretty sure the oetiker is too loose so I want to replace it with a worm/hose clamp but how do you get those oetiker clamps off?:confused:

cut em off. Use snips:
b2743ba9-a635-4647-8dd2-0f9af6e38b49_1000.jpg

Great, Thanks for the help guys. I was trying to wedge a small flat head into the crimp to loosen it. Had none chance of that working. I'll attach the overlap this go round.

If you have the PEX crimp tool that puts them on, the easiest way to to clamp on to the crimped part like you are going to try to crimp it harder (don't-- it won't work) and twist the tool back and forth until you snap off the crimp. Otherwise use the big cutters or a Dremel with a cutting wheel...

If you have the PEX crimp tool that puts them on, the easiest way to to clamp on to the crimped part like you are going to try to crimp it harder (don't-- it won't work) and twist the tool back and forth until you snap off the crimp. Otherwise use the big cutters or a Dremel with a cutting wheel...

Unfortunately I don't have the crimper, I bought these assemblies pre-assembled which is the problem. I don't own a Dremel and i can't find my snips/cutters. I'm not a very handy person and SHMBO is convinced if I try to be I'll irreparably hurt myself or the house so not a lot of call for many tools prior to the kegerator build.

Oetiker clamps hold a much more reliable seal than worm clamps, if installed properly. I don't use worm clamps for anything beer related anymore, and don't recommend them.

Go buy some common hand tools for around the home. You're gonna need them anyways. It's only a matter of time before swmbo comes up with a new home project. Lol!

Make sure to get a side cutter and a nipper to use with Oetiker's...

Unfortunately I don't have the crimper, I bought these assemblies pre-assembled which is the problem. I don't own a Dremel and i can't find my snips/cutters. I'm not a very handy person and SHMBO is convinced if I try to be I'll irreparably hurt myself or the house so not a lot of call for many tools prior to the kegerator build.

Okay.. do you have a normal pair of pliers? If so get on them the same way I suggested with the PEX crimp tool and twist them back and forth and up and down... eventually you will break them off. replace with a stainless hose clamp. I agree if put on correctly on PEX they are bulletproof.. and on a beer item that is the correct diameter, they are bulletproof. A lot of LHBS type suppliers use them on stuff that will never work or don't crimp with the proper tools so they fail. In your case use the hose clamp since I don't know the application...

Okay.. do you have a normal pair of pliers? If so get on them the same way I suggested with the PEX crimp tool and twist them back and forth and up and down... eventually you will break them off. replace with a stainless hose clamp. I agree if put on correctly on PEX they are bulletproof.. and on a beer item that is the correct diameter, they are bulletproof. A lot of LHBS type suppliers use them on stuff that will never work or don't crimp with the proper tools so they fail. In your case use the hose clamp since I don't know the application...

I do have needle nose pliers, I'll definitely try this when I get home. The application is that I have a leak between my gas line tube and my quick disconnect in this region:
GasLineDQLeak_zpsorkrjg7r.jpg

I don't have oetiker clamps or a crimper so I'm going to replace the oetiker clamp with a worm/hose clamp.

Back