How should Cab Sauv taste after 5 days in a primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markchouinard

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to wine making and have a few questions:

I am getting ready to rack a batch of Cab Sauv from the primary to the carboy after 5 days. It appears that fermentation is complete, and I am getting SG of 0.992.

When I taste the wine though, it tastes "off" from what I am expecting. I'd say it's a little bit vinegary but I don't know if that's possible after only 5 days in the primary fermenter? I also don't know if it's supposed to taste like that in the beginning stages. Maybe it is just really dry and young...?

It was air tight with an air lock the whole time and I sanitized all the gear prior to use. If anyone has any input/ advice it'd be greatly appreciated.

-Mark

LOL.. thanks for the advice. I don't think it's that kind of wine though...

It's a kit, takes 4 weeks to bottle, and suggested to sit in bottle for another month for a total of 8 weeks before it's ready. And it says the shelf life is about a year once ready.

I am just concerned that it might be turning to vinegar, but don't know if that's a fact or me just being paranoid.
That's where I am coming from with the question.
Any thoughts as to the vinegar vs. paranoid issue are welcome :)

Since the wine is so young, and just ready for secondary, it still has tons of c02 in suspension as well as yeast. The c02 has an acidic "bite" to it, and that may be what you are tasting. The yeast in suspension has more of a yeasty taste, but it has a bite as well.

Once you see all the stuff that falls out in secondary, and have successfully degassed the wine, the sample after that will be more like the finished product.

LOL.. thanks for the advice. I don't think it's that kind of wine though...

It's a kit, takes 4 weeks to bottle, and suggested to sit in bottle for another month for a total of 8 weeks before it's ready. And it says the shelf life is about a year once ready.

I am just concerned that it might be turning to vinegar, but don't know if that's a fact or me just being paranoid.
That's where I am coming from with the question.
Any thoughts as to the vinegar vs. paranoid issue are welcome :)

Pretty normal for a wine at 5 days. FWIW a kit that says 4 weeks to bottle should really be left alone for about 9-12 months then bottled and enjoyed a couple months after that. You can do it in 4 weeks and have something that is drinkable, but if you wait a year as suggested you will have a nice wine.

I appreciate the info and the advice on this.
Sounds like it may just be the above mentioned causes enhanced by my over-zealous imagination.

I guess patience truly IS a virtue...

Thanks for the input :)

Trust Yooper... But, at 5 days I would say that you would taste a yeasty grape juice. I wouldn't expect a red wine to taste right under a minimum of 3-4 months. I think your directions are very optimistic. From everything I have read, one white wine so far, is that red wine really take 4 - 6 months aging and get good after about 1 year. Then are at their best for a few more years before beginning to degrade.

Latest posts

Back