How often do you shampoo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere online that more than 1-2x per week is actually detrimental. Any more than that, and you're rinsing away oils that help make your hair healthy. Do you (and/or your SO) like the way your hair looks? If so, then I say run with it.

Rarely more than once a week, and as such, I've been a poster-child that some of my hairdresser friends have pointed to while scolding their clients for over-washing. If your hair is very short, such that the ends are never more than a few months old, it doesn't matter much, but the older it gets, the more it needs its own oils. Mine's quite long I guess... I have to wrap it around my neck like a scarf when I need to sit on a toilet. :)

Rarely more than once a week, and as such, I've been a poster-child that some of my hairdresser friends have pointed to while scolding their clients for over-washing. If your hair is very short, such that the ends are never more than a few months old, it doesn't matter much, but the older it gets, the more it needs its own oils. Mine's quite long I guess... I have to wrap it around my neck like a scarf when I need to sit on a toilet. :)
Well just don't let it get tangled in the rear wheel of your sports car, that can have tragic results.

i wash my hair? but now i keep it about 1" long also....

hasn't fallen out on me yet!

edit: the real question that needs asking, how often do you shave!

i wash my hair? but now i keep it about 1" long also....

hasn't fallen out on me yet!

edit: the real question that needs asking, how often do you shave!
Since I retired, I don't shave very often...

Back to the original Q, I have heard that bathing and hair washing is mostly unnecessary.
I think that matters if you want any social contact.
Our bodies have there own biosphere that gets disrupted by soap and other chemicals so maybe you can get by with a periodic rinse in the pond. ;)

Since I retired, I don't shave very often...

Back to the original Q, I have heard that bathing and hair washing is mostly unnecessary.
I think that matters if you want any social contact.
Our bodies have there own biosphere that gets disrupted by soap and other chemicals so maybe you can get by with a periodic rinse in the pond. ;)
...which can be brought around to our mutual interest in beer:
The oils on our skin collect dirt and pollution from our environment and this can clog our pores, some of which undergoes transdermal absorbtion.. too much of this can lead to poor skin condition and extra work in the long term on your liver (which should be reserved for beer). Most 'soaps' today are smelly chemical toxic garbage...even Pears brand was reformulated into stinky crap.. In old Rome, they used steam and oil which was scraped off with wooden spatulas. ..today, there are some less offensive items for simple cleansing, but often just using hot water is adequate.. like with our brewing; we need to use non-reactive or minimally reactive products.
As to keeping on track, I apologize but you've all made this song play endlessly in my head since I first began reading this morning:

Considering that what little hair I have left never gets more than about 1/4” long, and the hairs that are there are barely close enough together to hold hands, I don’t think it really matters. :cool:
19DFBB0A-4300-4E91-851F-CF7FDD2A9EF6.jpeg

Let your freak flag fly

Every day, shampoo and conditioner.
I'm 66 years old and have been doing it that way for decades.
But I get very dirty, greasy, and sweaty.
I'll bet you don't get dirtier than I do. Not a contest, but I live in a very sweaty place, and I am always working on outdoor stuff.

I used to shampoo. For many years I wondered why my hair was so fluffy. I did not want that weird look. That's when I realized it was caused by me. I stopped shampooing, and my hair is now normal. Might not be for everyone.

Daily, otherwise it stinks and keeps me awake at nights. If I can't stand the smell, why would I expect others to deal with it?!

I went "no-poo" 7 years ago and have never looked back. Just water in the shower. Sometimes soap, sparingly, after a bonfire & cigar if needed. No regrets. Makes traveling way easier too.

No hair on my head, so I Bic it daily. I wash my head with my face wash every day. Beard gets washed, oiled and waxed every day too.

i'm assuming no-one with dread locks is going to post in this thread?
You need really clean hair for dreads to form nicely, I had them for years.

Since getting rid of my dreads? I shampoo 2 or 3 times a year, and condition roughly once a month. Conditioner can give enough lather to wash everything out without stripping your hair of oils, so that's my go-to when I get my hair cut. Shampoo only when things get really bad like a weekend camping, mud running, painting, or other times where actual stuff gets in my hair. I don't condition too often though because since I stopped washing my hair daily my head no longer overproduces the oils I was washing out every day. Both my stylist and my wife can't tell, my showers are shorter, and I save $$$ on hair products.

Daily and sometimes twice. My scalp is naturally somewhat oily and if I do not, my hair is a flat mess. If I skip a day, my hair "hurts" my head. I have been doing it since I was a child and still have all my hair at 72.

I wash everyday but when doing a sailing passage where water management is important, I may not shower for a week, after the first couple of days my hair starts to feel normal again. I have not tried when I am at home.

Lately I wash my hair weekly. This is borne out off trying to save water by showering once a week. I rinse/wet my hair daily while shaving and washing the stinky parts.

Back