How much yeast to use for 1/2 batch of Dogfish Head 60 Minute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbehr

Reaction score
I had my local supply store scale this clone down for a 1/2 batch. I'm using Thames Valley Wyeast and made a starter Saturday morning. They told me to pitch the entire pack even though it's a 1/2 batch but they also said I didn't need to do a starter so I thought I'd check with the experts!

Partial mash Recipe is a follows for the 5G batch, I'm not sure if he directly cut everything in half for my 2.5G batch:

1.5lbs 2-row pale malt
6.5oz Thomas Fawcett amber malt
Steep @ 152 degrees for 45 minutes in 2.25 qts water

4lbs muntons light DME
11.2 AAU Warrior hops
3.6 AAU Simcoe hops
5.6 AAU Palisade hops
.7oz palisade hops

Dry Hops:
.59 oz Amarillo hops
.59 oz Simcoe hops
.59 oz Glacier hops

Recipe called for Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale but they didn't have it and he said it can be tough to pitch this correctly...so he gave me Thames Valley.

I used mrmalty and it said I needed one vial if I used a starter but when I changed it to a 5g batch it still said one vial with a starter, it just changed the number of vials needed without a starter. Does that seem right?

I used the second calculator and it gave me numbers in billions...how would I translate that into how much of my starter to use?

Am I overthinking this?

I used mrmalty and it said I needed one vial if I used a starter but when I changed it to a 5g batch it still said one vial with a starter, it just changed the number of vials needed without a starter. Does that seem right?

I used the second calculator and it gave me numbers in billions...how would I translate that into how much of my starter to use?

Am I overthinking this?

You're overthinking! I just looked at mrmalty and with an OG of 1.070 (what is your projected og?) a starter is just right for a 2.5 gallon batch. Just do it! (in my best Nike commercial voice).

Haha, OG is 1.064 so that sounds great! I'm super excited to brew this batch, LOVE this beer and can't wait to see how it turns out.

Haha, OG is 1.064 so that sounds great! I'm super excited to brew this batch, LOVE this beer and can't wait to see how it turns out.

Me too, actually! Your recipe is only slightly different than mine (I don't use palisade hops) and I want to see how yours would compare to mine.

cbehr said:

Am I overthinking this?

The key difference is the size of the starter.
2.5 you need a 1L starter and with a 5 gallon batch you need a 2.5L starter.

Back