How much yeast for a 2.5 - 3 gal batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breez7

Reaction score
I am gonna be doing a run on four or five mini batches and don't want to over pitch. I usually do a 1 liter starter for liquid yeast or a rehydrated packet of dry yeast for 5 gallons, would these amounts be too much for a 2.5 - 3 gallon batch???

Thanks for all the help, this site has taken my beer to the next level!

+1use the Mr Malty calculator. I do 3 gallon batches from time to time when all I have available is my 3 gallon kegs. Unless you are doing something on the heavy side you usually don't even need to make a starter. If you want to make a starter anyway to proof the yeast, then just reserve some of it for another batch.

I am gonna be doing a run on four or five mini batches and don't want to over pitch. I usually do a 1 liter starter for liquid yeast or a rehydrated packet of dry yeast for 5 gallons, would these amounts be too much for a 2.5 - 3 gallon batch???

Thanks for all the help, this site has taken my beer to the next level!

Over pitching is not as big of an issue as under pitching is. It depends on what type of beer you are brewing but if you do over pitch too much then it slows the growth of your yeasts and they can become weak basically because there isn't enough food for them. This could result in your yeast to floculate and give you a stuck fermentation. I usaully always aim for a little more than the brew calls for and I have never had a problem. I would like to hear what others have to say about this and get some good examples because I too would like to know what would be too much that would ruin a beer. To me it sounds like you would be fine, if anything just cut your starter in half.

ya cutting it in half might be the easiest way to go for me since I regularly am starting from yeast I have collected from previous batches and like to get them rejuvinated a little in a starter.

I brew in half batches. Here's what you do. Make a 1L starter. When you go to pitch, save 6 or 8 oz of the starter and pitch the rest (search for the many ways to store, bottles, jelly jars, etc). On your next batch, you can use what you saved to make another starter and repeat the process.

Back