how much vanilla extract/ cocoa nibs/ coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derhul

Reaction score
I'm working on my second all grain brew. Like my first round, I wanna do another milk stout (5 gallon batch).

But for this round I wanna add vanilla extract, cocoa and coffee.

I'm not sure how much or when (boil? primary? secondary? just before i kegg?) to add the above ingredients to my brew.

Also, I'm wondering what type of coffee should I use...instant? brewed coffee from the pot?...or do i put fresh beans in (whole or ground)?

And...I tend to like dark roast coffee's link french roast...but not sure if these coffees are good for home brewed stouts.

As for the Cocoa... what type do i use? powdered from store? sweet or non sweet chocolate chips?

Lastly, for vanilla...should i use extract or beans...and how much

NOTE:

I'm going to combine all the above into one brew...along with lactose.

Any thoughts for a new brew dude?

For cocoa, I do a one two punch. Dutch processes cocoa at 10 minutes left and then nibs soaked and blended in vodka (or another alcohol) at flameout. I'll double check my chocolate rum raisin porter recipe to let you know what volumes used.

As for vanilla, I like fresh beans scraped and soaked in 2oz of liquor. 1 bean per 5 gallons is a good rule of thumb. two impart a really strong flavor and unless its a big beer it can over power.

Ive never done coffee.

Okay - my chocolate rum raisin porter (which was loved by many) had an OG of 1.069.

First - I took 4oz of cocoa nibs and 4oz of raisins and soaked them in 8oz of rum. I left this to soak for about two weeks before I blended it up until it was a liquid slurry.

Second - at ten minutes left I added 2oz of dutch processed cocoa.

Finally - at flame out, I added the slurry from step one. When I transferred from my pot to the fermenter, I didn't go out of my way to exclude transferring over any "sludge" that was left over from this, and at kegging I actually saw some small bits of cocoa nibs go by.

The outcome for this was a very rich cocoa flavour. Both bitter, and chocolately. Of course, you don't need to use rum unless that's a flavour you were trying to get in it. You can use vodka which is extremely neutral. Same thing for the raisins - they were added to try to add more flavour.

As for vanilla, I recently did a imperial milk stout with vanilla and bourbon. The OG was 1.090. I used two Madagascar vanilla beans split, scraped, chopped and soaked in bourbon for about a week. I added them after 7-days of fermentation directly into primary, and then kegged a week later. The vanilla was strong but not over powering. A less powerful beer it might have been too much but in this case it was strong, but not out of place.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back