How much sugar per bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I have 6 gallons of brew in my fridge right now dry hopping, and I have a 5 gallon corny for kegging. I want to bottle the last bit but I don't want to fuss with the bottling sugar in a bucket, nor do I have corn sugar to use. I have either DME or common cane sugar. How much of either should I use per bottle directly? It's been years since I've bottled anything. I even had to buy a six pack of bottled beer so I have the bottles to use as almost everything I buy these days is canned, and I threw out all my old bottles. Hopefully I get 5-6 bottles out of it. I'll taste one and give the others to my son if they're good.

I better start drinking that bottled beer (Brooklyn East India Pale Ale).

Thanks. I usually just search and then get too many answers to be helpful. Cane sugar is the easiest. I just want this to be easy as it is only the residual that I'll be bottling. If it doesn't work no big deal as I still have 5 gallons in the keg.

I just want this to be easy as it is only the residual that I'll be bottling.
@Immocles 's answer in #2 is probably what you are looking for.

Carbonation drops also work for many people. If kept away from humid environments, they store well. Many enjoy the convenience drops offer, others think drops are too expensive.

"Per style" carbonation levels can be accomplished with some of the approaches in "1 gallon brewers unite" (see link in #3 above).

eta: Domino Dots / sugar cubes may no longer be available in the right size for 12 oz bottles: Domino Dots FYI

Last edited:
I used the 1/2 tsp size Domino Dots for several years, but now they only seem to make a larger size that’s too big. Now I put 1/2 tsp cane sugar per bottle, easy and works great.

I'm on bottle number 5 of the 6 pack I bought to do this. Somebody had to drink it! Too bad yesterday's game was such a stinker and I didn't drink much for it.

I kegged my batch today and there was only enough left for maybe 2 bottles, so instead I salvaged about a pint as a taster in a plastic cup and stuck it in the fridge to get the stirred up yeast to settle out again and later carefully poured it into a glass and drank it as flat beer. It was quite good. The bottles went into the recycling bin.

Latest posts

Back