how much space does a 5 gal system with a swamp cooler take up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake_Smash

Reaction score
Planing on moving into a 2/2 apartment this summer and thinking that is the time to upgrade to 5 gal kits.

Thinking I'm going to go with midwest' mid level kit w/ plastic BB for easier storage. Ill buy the bottles, kettle, and thermometer separate so that the cost is lower.

I live in Florida so i'm going to use a swamp cooler method to keep the temps down while fermenting.

I am a little concerned about space and how much of it I am going to dedicate to storage and use of equipment.

My SWMBO wants this information even more than I do because Mr. Beer fits in a closet... This set up most definitely will not.

Im picturing like when I am brewing its going to take up the majority of a room. Am I wrong? will it be isolated to a corner once I put the fermentor into the swamp cooler?

Thanks for the advise

Isn't a swamp cooler basically just a bin or bucket slightly larger than the fermenter, which you place your fermenter in, fill with water and then put a t-shirt or towel on top?

It shouldn't have to take up much more space than the fermenter itself. But I don't know that a closet is necessarily a good choice - to get the best cooling you'll want some airflow, so pointing a fan at it is probably a solid plan.

You can also put some frozen water bottles if it still isn't keeping the temperature down enough.

i have 3 carboys, 3 buckets, 2 cases of 12 oz bottles, 25 22 oz bottles, bottle tree and all bottling equipment, wort chiller, 6 gal kettle, all cleaning and sanitizing items, and two kegs that fit in small closet. This closet also houses christmas decorations for the wife.

Planing on moving into a 2/2 apartment this summer and thinking that is the time to upgrade to 5 gal kits.

Thinking I'm going to go with midwest' mid level kit w/ plastic BB for easier storage. Ill buy the bottles, kettle, and thermometer separate so that the cost is lower.

I live in Florida so i'm going to use a swamp cooler method to keep the temps down while fermenting.

I am a little concerned about space and how much of it I am going to dedicate to storage and use of equipment.

My SWMBO wants this information even more than I do because Mr. Beer fits in a closet... This set up most definitely will not.

Im picturing like when I am brewing its going to take up the majority of a room. Am I wrong? will it be isolated to a corner once I put the fermentor into the swamp cooler?

Thanks for the advise

Can you explain in 20 words or less what you need the better bottle for? I go from primary to bottling bucket to bottles. I'd save the money and get the basic kit. Later if you do find a good use for the better bottle you can add it.

These were what I used until I got my fermentation chamber set up.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390879843.815088.jpg
The cat kept a watchful eye on the temps.

Back