How much raspberry to one gallon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchcl640

Reaction score
I made a 5 gallon batch of beer. I want to do bottle a gallon for my sister in law using fresh raspberries, frozen raspberries, or raspberry extract. Which is better and how much do I use for one gallon?

I've read on here that you get 'em fresh, freeze 'em to burst the cell walls and give you more flavor, mash 'em up and slam them in secondary.

oh yeah. also, most of the threads on here i've read involving fruit in beer say between 1-2 pounds for a 5gal batch is a good amount for flavor and aroma, 3 pounds for "in your face" flavor and aroma.

oh yeah. also, most of the threads on here i've read involving fruit in beer say between 1-2 pounds for a 5gal batch is a good amount for flavor and aroma, 3 pounds for "in your face" flavor and aroma.

+1. I added 2 lbs of Oregon canned raspberry to a little more than 3 gallons of beer. It was plenty raspberry, maybe too strong. Next time I will shoot for 2 of the 15 oz cans of Oregon whole raspberries to a 5 gallon batch (I found these pretty cheap at our grocery store). I did a quick zip in a Starsann'd blender before hand.

51Cr9yHte5L__SL500_AA300_PIbundle-8,TopRight,0,0_AA300_SH20_.jpg

Stay away from extracts. I'd recommend 6 oz of raspberries and this time of year, you'll do better with froze. Since the beer is done, I'd crush the berries and boil them for 1-2 minutes in a cup of water for maximum flavor.

Guess it depends on what beer this is going into. I'm pretty sure you'd get pectin haze if you boiled the berries. In a wheat that might not matter one bit. As an alternative you could pasteurize by holding the berries at 150F for 25-30 minutes.

I like the canned stuff, no bugs to worry about and easy peasy.

Back