How much light is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
As I was trying to find something to wrap my latest carboy in, I started thinking, how much light is to much? I hate skunky beer, so maybe I'm being too cautious... But, i keep most my carboys in the basement, no direct light, and a good 15 feet to the side of a small window. I also sometimes move one into my office it if drops too cold.

I always wrap them up completely to the airlock with a towel or blanket.Just recently, I took the boxes the carboys came in, taped the flaps closed on one end, and open on the other. This makes it the perfect height to cover a carboy with airlock.

I started worrying that there could me small amounts of reflected light making it's way in between the flaps. Am I worrying too much?

Thanks!

Kosch

Sounds to me that your being overly cautious. It would take hours of direct sunlight to have an effect on your beer. Unless you have your carboy next to a window, I wouldn't worry.

I wrap mine in tshirts or put a towel over them. There is some room at the neck of the carboy that is not wrapped but i've never had any issues with skunking. I'm also in the basement if this helps. Looks like you have a good system

I also cover our plastic FV's with dark tee shirts. I cover the neck openning on top of the lids with a grocery store add,right up to the airlock which is off to one side. And my fermenter stand is next to the computer hutch on the 1st floor with a Southern exposer. It's all good so far...

I keep carboys in the basement but not covered. There isn't much to speak of for light, much less direct light (which they're not in). I've never had a problem (knock on wood) yet so I still don't cover them up.

2012-05-07_18-35-48_749.jpg

Sounds to me that your being overly cautious. It would take hours of direct sunlight to have an effect on your beer. Unless you have your carboy next to a window, I wouldn't worry.

beer can skunk far quicker than that. matter of minutes not hours.

... but yes, no need to be as cautious as the OP is.

Slowfro...are those fluorescent bulbs I see reflecting off the carboy? Fluorescents do produce UV light which skunks beer. Its far less potent than sunlight, but fluorescents are a big reason green bottles produce skunk beer in grocery/liquor stores.

Slowfro...are those fluorescent bulbs I see reflecting off the carboy? Fluorescents do produce UV light which skunks beer. Its far less potent than sunlight, but fluorescents are a big reason green bottles produce skunk beer in grocery/liquor stores.

Those are indeed fluorescent bulbs in the basement. I know that their UV waves can affect beer, and maybe I'm dancing with the devil by being negligent, but to date I've never had a problem. The basement doesn't get used for too much so the lights aren't on all too frequently....pennies on the dollar compared to the lights in a grocery store.

Perhaps I should cover them just to be safe. God knows I'd be "slightly more than upset" if I went to bottle a nice IPA and had it skunked up.

Well cool, thanks for the input everyone! Based on all the feedback, i will not be quite so OCD about covering them completely :) Actually using the carboy boxes makes it really easy since I can just slip them right over top and they keep them fairly insulated.

Cheers!

Kosch

To address the OP I would be leery of direct sunlight but I have never had an issue with skunking in the fermenter and I have mine in a windowless room but the lights are on all the time (non-florescent).

Slightly :off:
This thread has me asking the question of: Why are carboys and Better Bottles NOT amber/brown in color?

I mean we are paying a huge chunk of cash for this stuff...AND this issue effects wines as well as beer... It is not like it would be all that hard to find amber glass/plastic...

Latest posts

Back