how much is enough??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm tweeking a recipe that I've converted to extract with specialty grains from an all grain recipe. Now, I'm adding honey malt, and was wondering how much is enough for a five gallon batch. I want a slight sweet flavor. I'm making a belian ale with cherries. I'm adding the honey malt because the last batch I made didn't have the honey flavor this beer should, and I added 2 lbs honey at flameout. I know that doesn't add much honey flavor so I decided to add the honey malt. Now, I've read that you shouldn't go over 20 percent of the grain bill, but I think I figured on 1.3-2.6 lbs is way too much. What would you consider a decent amount? Thanks.
Todd

I had better luck with my honey experiments adding it at high Krausen. Just pasteurize without boiling (I don't think is necessary, but if you want to be on the safe side). I recently did a Belgian Golden Strong, that I added honey to after 3 days in primary, it turned out wonderful, although I needed to let it ferment a while longer. Adding honey itself in my experience gives you a mead-like honey taste, but it may not be as strong as you suspect, as 95-97% of the saccharides in honey are fermentable. So it mostly will be turned to alcohol.

I'm not sure you are going to get the "honey" taste you may expect from the malt. Raw honey will actually dry out your beer too, and make it lighter bodied. Others can probably speak with more experience.

Although the unfermentable sugars with a honey malt, in conjunction with honey, may give you more what you look for.

Yeah, honey itself doesn't sweeten. It actually does the opposite and dries out the beer as it almost ferments out completely. It's also a little pricey. A pound of honey malt would probably be enough for a 5 gallon batch.

I've used up to 2 pounds in an IPA, around 15%. However, that was balancing out over 100 IBU's.

Iv used 2lbs of honey malt in a 5 gallon batch before, it was drinkable but i wouldnt do it again. Im formulating a recipe for a honey brown. Im gonna try using the dark candy syrup process on 8 oz of honey. Part of the recipe will be that and 8 oz honey malt. might be interesting.

Latest posts

Back