How much honey to add to give slight flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j33p4x4

Reaction score
I've been brewing a slight variance of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde that I enjoy. Tonite I'm wanting to try an ode to my Dad brew. He's a bee keeper and sets my family up with all of the honey we can use. This past year he decided to try his hand at growing hops, not because he likes beer, but because he likes projects. Anyway, I'm brewing tonight using the few hops he could harvest from first-year, central Florida grown hops plant and I'd like to add some of his honey after the boil to give just a hint of flavor - his hops, his honey, going to try to come up with a fancy name for this batch. What I haven't been able to find is how much honey I need to add to give a hint of honey flavor. The recipe is pretty light so I don't imagine that I need to add much, but not sure if just using honey to prime a few bottles would do it or not. Any suggestions?

I've been brewing a slight variance of BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde that I enjoy. Tonite I'm wanting to try an ode to my Dad brew. He's a bee keeper and sets my family up with all of the honey we can use. This past year he decided to try his hand at growing hops, not because he likes beer, but because he likes projects. Anyway, I'm brewing tonight using the few hops he could harvest from first-year, central Florida grown hops plant and I'd like to add some of his honey after the boil to give just a hint of flavor - his hops, his honey, going to try to come up with a fancy name for this batch. What I haven't been able to find is how much honey I need to add to give a hint of honey flavor. The recipe is pretty light so I don't imagine that I need to add much, but not sure if just using honey to prime a few bottles would do it or not. Any suggestions?

Honey won't give much of a "honey" flavor to the beer, although it may have just a slight hint of aroma. Honey is completely fermentable, so it just doesn't leave much of a flavor behind.

You could add .5 pound of honey malt to your steeping grains, and that will give a definite honey flavor to the beer, and still use the honey in the boil. That way, you get a crisp bright finish to the beer (from the actual honey) and honey flavor from the honey malt.

I think the best way to maximize any flavor from honey is to add it at bottling.

Use it instead of sugar to carbonate.

bah, I started brewing and never came back to reply to these! Thanks for the replies. I'm definately going to try the honey malt next time. Since I was late in the planning, I ended up just using my Dad's hops and will go for the honey flavor next time. The batch should be ready to keg this weekend so I'm looking forward to seeing how his hops did :)

Back