How much h20 in batch sparge for high grav beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammy48

Reaction score
I am making a RIS with an og of 1.100... I'm using about 20# of grain. If I use the old standard of 1.25 quarts per pound I get 25 quarts which is 6.25 gallons... which would be perfect... except I thought that was supposed to be PER batch sparge? Maybe I could get away with 1 to 1 which would still give me 20 quarts or 5 gallons per batch sparge... I was planning on doing 3 batches... do I just have to boil for a week before adding my 60 minute hops?

I think I am not understanding something here...

This is my first high gravity beer and I have done mostly partial mashes so far.

Thanks in advance!

hammy48 said:
I am making a RIS with an og of 1.100... I'm using about 20# of grain. If I use the old standard of 1.25 quarts per pound I get 25 quarts which is 6.25 gallons... which would be perfect... except I thought that was supposed to be PER batch sparge? Maybe I could get away with 1 to 1 which would still give me 20 quarts or 5 gallons per batch sparge... I was planning on doing 3 batches... do I just have to boil for a week before adding my 60 minute hops? I think I am not understanding something here... This is my first high gravity beer and I have done mostly partial mashes so far. Thanks in advance!
That is about right for a single sparge. The 20 lbs grain will hang on to close to 3 gallons of water. You will get about 3 to 3.5 gal first runnings. Then sparge with difference between planned pre boil volume and volume of first runnings. If you want to do 2 sparges you will be sparging pretty thick unless you really bump up pre boil volume and then plan very long boil... I never do 2 sparges and pretty reliably get 70-80% efficiency. It will be on low end of typical for a very large beer because of the volume limitations.

Back