How much grain can I put into a 15.5g sanke mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maierhof

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How many pounds of grain - I mean the largest grain bill possible without any spill over (with sparge) - can I put into a 15.5g sanke fermenter?

I just cut the top off of a sanke - took out about an 8" hole in it so I gain the maximum room for large grain bills. Will have a stainless false bottom at the bottom of it about a 1.25" from the bottom. I have a false bottom stand but will need to cut it down to size by about a 1/8" to have it do it's job effectively and cleanly.

Does someone know the max amount they have used in a situation similar to this one?

Thanks in advance!:mug:

you could just measure out "1 gallon" of grain and see how much that weighs. Then for every pound of grain in there, you need anywhere from 1-1.5 quarts of water. Or you could do it the fun way. Have a bunch of mash water ready and a bunch of grains ready. Then add 1 pound of grains and 1.25 quarts of water. Add another pound, and 1.25 quarts water. Continue until your tun is full.

"you could just measure out "1 gallon" of grain and see how much that weighs. Then for every pound of grain in there, you need anywhere from 1-1.5 quarts of water. Or you could do it the fun way. Have a bunch of mash water ready and a bunch of grains ready. Then add 1 pound of grains and 1.25 quarts of water. Add another pound, and 1.25 quarts water. Continue until your tun is full."

While that sounds fun - it sounds like an expensive way to prove a point which I can get from someone up here - verbally.

What I was looking for was some experienced person to weigh in and give me an idea of how large I can get - I typically do 10g batches and usually use 1.5 for a mash thickness. I was thankful that BobbyM put that up there - not sure why I didn't look into that thread first but at least I had subscribed to it so it wasn't that hard to find.

I have also found this calculator too:
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

The Green Bay Rackers one is always spot on for me. Go with that.

Back