How much dry yeast for bottling only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIJIKAI

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian quad (~12% abv) and am going to bottle about 3 gallons of it (and keg the remaining 2 gallons).

The beer has been cold chilling for weeks after its main fermentation at around 40degrees, so I imagine it has very little yeast left alive in it.
The plan is to add some Safbrew dry yeast (T-58) into the bottling bucket with the corn sugar. My question is:

How much of the yeast should I add? A whole packet seems overkill just for bottling 3 gallons.

The Package comes with 11.5g of dry yeast. If I carefully, in a sanitized manner, weigh out less, what do you think?

4g?
5g?
3g?

I have been kegging for 3-4 years, so I don't have much memory of bottling. I really appreciate your help.

Best,
Bobby
NIJIKAI BREWING

Might not hurt to actually make a small starter. The excellent recipes on the Candi Syrup Inc site frequently advise pitching with a 500 mL starter.

Your fermenting yeast is probably fine, but if you want to be safe, 3g of the dry should be more than sufficient for 3 gallons. I typically use that much Nottingham when carbing 5 gallons of lager that's been chilling for 4 months.

Thanks Eric and CastleHollow!
I have heard starters for dry yeast are not needed, so I'll avoid that.

I think 3g sounds like a plan!

I have only done a few lagers and just bottled another one using 2gms of CBC-1 yeast the same as the last time. It was only 5.5% ABV but the carbonation is just perfect. CBC-1 yeast would be fine for 12%ABV.

I always rehydrate my dry yeast even when adding to the priming bucket.

Back