How much chloramine to be noticeable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodsuds

Reaction score
My tap water is treated with chloramine. To get around it I use campden tablets to treat my water when I do partial mashes or use distilled water when doing all extract. Before I did this my beers would all develop a plastic taste that was unmistakable.

My question is, if I used my (non-campden treated) tap water (~2 cups) to rehydrate dry yeast or make priming solution for a 5-6 gallon batch, would either result in detectable off flavors? I understand at a basic level how chlorophenols are produced during fermentation, I just don't know enough to understand at what volume they become detectable, or how to measure it other than by volume of water.

Yes, I could just use spring water, and I typically do, but sometimes it slips my mind to buy some on brew day, or I had to use all of my campden treated sparge water (which I usually try to save some for rehydrating) and I end up having to rehydrate my yeast in distilled water, which I understand to be less than ideal.

Thanks in advance.

I would use "clean," i.e., non-chlorinated water wherever you can. Whether the amount of chloramine in your hydrating water is enough to be noticeable, I'd say probably not. But very small amounts of chlorine/chloramine can get greatly magnified by fermentation. Also, keep in mind that the purpose of chlorine/chloramine is to kill microorganisms, of which yeast is one.

Can't you just hold back an extra pint of treated water and keep it in your fridge for hydrating?

Latest posts

Back