How many wyeast packs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timschram

Reaction score
Brewing an imperial chocolate stout today. Using wyeast 1318 London ale III. At 70% efficiency, we are looking at an OG of 94-96.

While exchanging emails with a buddy, he left off with, "make sure you have enough yeast!" Now I can't get a hold of him. We have always only used one pack in our brews, but we have also never done anything imperial or with a gravity above 75.

Should we grab a second package of yeast??

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Run your recipe through MrMalty.com to verify how much yeast you need to pitch. Chances are the answer is going to be yes.

Run your recipe through MrMalty.com to verify how much yeast you need to pitch. Chances are the answer is going to be yes.

Mr malty says 3 packs. Does that sound right??

That could be right. A lot also depends upon the production date of the yeast. Older yeast means more packs because of the lower % of viability in each pack.

yes. you need a lot of yeast to not stress out the yeast with that high of an OG. This is why most folks create starters. 1 pack and a little LME and you can get as much yeast as you need.

Thanks folks. I'll grab a couple more packs. The one I have was manufactured in March. We can't do starters at this time, unfortunately.

Grab some S-04. Cheaper, it has a higher cell count than a smack pack, and it is pretty similar to what you planned to use.

EDIT: Mr. Malty says 1.6 packs of dry yeast will do it.

Grab some S-04. Cheaper, it has a higher cell count than a smack pack, and it is pretty similar to what you planned to use.

EDIT: Mr. Malty says 1.6 packs of dry yeast will do it.

This ^^^^^. Doing a higher grav batch and not being able to make starters means spending a wad of $$ on multiple vials/smackpacks of liquid yeast.

Rehydrate two 11g packets of S-04 dry yeast (Whitbread strain) and you'll have plenty of cells.

Latest posts

Back