How many beers in your stash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
Just curious, how many beers do you try to keep around, and when does it become "time to brew" to keep the pipeline going? Lol

I try to keep a case to 40 around, time to brew usually hits me when I'm under 20 beers in the fridge, it's time to brew :)

Though since i started upping my batch sizes to 5g, now I'm like I want 90+ around and I'm buying a mini fridge... Is this hobby just destined to go down a spiral of madness? Haha, never thought I'd see the day i have a stash of 40+ beers and be like "I want more!"

Because life gets in the way in spring, summer, and fall, I try to stock up by late March to hold me through that time so I may have as many as 10 cases of beer on hand. Some of it is for consumption soon, some is aging.

I also go on a brewing binge in April/May and then don't brew much in the summer.
I'll have 4-5 kegs ready to go + some bottled beer. I also like trying different commercial beers, I'll buy a variety pack, drink 2-3 and the rest ends up in a private stash closet, probably have 3-4 cases of beer regular sized beer and case of large format bottles in there at any given time. I also usually have 30-40 gallons of wine/cider/mead either fermenting, aging, waiting to be bottled or ready to drink.

I don't use my current stash to govern when I brew (I like to keep up an every 2 week pace regardless), but all the info is in my sig. I currently have 4 kegs (need more), 3 large carboys, 1 plastic bucket, and 2 half size carboys. 3 kegs, the bucket, both small carboys, and 2 large carboys are currently occupied.

My capacity is 20 gallons (4x5gal) so I try to keep at least half that flowing at any given time

How big of batches are you brewing? 5 gallons yields ~50. I have four kegs. All full is ~200. I like to have at least two kegs full plus something fermenting.

About 3 cases of beer and I have about a half keg to consume leftover from a tasting event, and a full keg lagering for a party. Oh, and 5 gallons aging in a barrel. More beer needs to be brewed for upcoming events etc. I also have about 2 gallons of mead for my own use.

1 to 3 kegs on tap most of the time, with 1 or more lagering/conditioning at any given time.
Ramping up to my annual Oktoberfest party, I will have as many as 6 kegs lagering plus one or two serving on tap.

+\- 25 gallons on tap I brew 4-6 5 gallon batches a month to maintain them I usually have 30 gallons in fermenters at any given time

Now that I’ve found a nice brew batch volume, I’ll try to keep 3-4 cases with a nice variety of 5-7 different beers on hand. Plus store bought lager for the FIL. I currently am overwhelmed at 5.5 cases, with an ipa brew coming up, but I’ll be bringing half to a draft party next month, and I’ll give out at least another case before then. I’m a bit surprised that I haven’t upped my drinking with all of it lying around. I got way ahead of myself with back to back kit brews because I needed to use up LME.
Falling into that 2-2.5g biab volume should cure a lot of overstocking, and I’ve been experimenting with longer aging products as well.

I only bottle and I like to have a solid 2-3 beer rotation available at any one time plus side projects. There is an "archives" where I keep the last of previous batches for posterity and aging but every two weeks keeps me in OK shape unless I do a couple that like to age back-to-back.

When the fermenter is empty it’s time to brew.

I have 5 gal in fermenter, 5 gal conditioning, 5 gal tapped, and 5 gal carbing.

5 gal = 640 oz. I pour 20 oz pints at +/- 2 per day, so 5 gal lasts ~ 16 days give or take.

I'm more style driven rhen quantity driven. My keezer holds 10 kegs and I can serve out of 6 of them. If I'm running low on pale ale I'll make a batch no matter how many kegs are full, same with any style that I try and keep around

How big of batches are you brewing? 5 gallons yields ~50. I have four kegs. All full is ~200. I like to have at least two kegs full plus something fermenting.

5 now, used to do 2.5g batches and my last 2 batches were 5's. I don't know if I'll go back to 2.5's, I always ran out of beer too quick. But I think I'll have to get a 2nd fridge since I'm seeing a storage problem in my future lol. Despite the bigger batches, I still want to brew every other week and have the same variety of beers on hand.

I have a 3 tap kegerator. I try to brew often enough that I always have a full keg, one about to kick, one somewhere in between and at least one batch fermenting, at any given time. That keeps the pipeline full.

I rarely buy commercial beer any more. I took inventory of the various refrigerators here and came up with two cans of a locally brewed cream ale. Around this camp, you will drink homebrew, and you will like it, or you will drink what you have in your pockets. :cool:

5 now, used to do 2.5g batches and my last 2 batches were 5's. I don't know if I'll go back to 2.5's, I always ran out of beer too quick. But I think I'll have to get a 2nd fridge since I'm seeing a storage problem in my future lol. Despite the bigger batches, I still want to brew every other week and have the same variety of beers on hand.

That’s why I settled into 2.5g (and the occasional 1g). Easier to keep a variety. Although it does suck when you make a good one and think how great another couple gallons would be...

A basement fridge is probably my next purchase. Hoping to score a cheap freezerless dorm sized one. Enough to fit a small keg with a picnic tap, a few yeast jars, and some cold bottles.

That’s why I settled into 2.5g (and the occasional 1g). Easier to keep a variety. Although it does suck when you make a good one and think how great another couple gallons would be...

A basement fridge is probably my next purchase. Hoping to score a cheap freezerless dorm sized one. Enough to fit a small keg with a picnic tap, a few yeast jars, and some cold bottles.

This happens to me literally every time, and after 20 or so batches in, I was like screw it, I'm going bigger. My stash can get cleaned out instantly if family or friends come over for a party lol. Bottled my first 5g batch last week and love it. Though I'm sure that's only flying because my gf is out of town right now. I'm perfectly fine with the whole top row of my fridge being beer ;)

But yeah a secondary fridge is definitely my next purchase. My freezer is also getting overcrowded with bags of hops :D

Haha I definitely understand that feeling. I really do wish I had another couple gallons of the kolsch and brown ale I just started cracking into. I'm really the only one drinking them though since we don't have much company anymore (folks having kids at an alarming rate, getting married off, basically just growing up...finally) and my wife doesn't drink. Although I started making kombucha for her, and that goes over well (more damn bottles to store somewhere...omg). I give out tons of beer though. As folks hook me up with empty bottles and 6 pack carriers, I send filled home-brew bottles along with them. I'm just slightly more stingy with those recipes that I REALLY enjoy. The real struggle I'm having now is wanting to make cider and mead and having zero patience to allow things to age.

Usually around 20ish gallons.

I have 4 kegs, 2 on tap, 2 on deck. Those are mostly pale ales and stouts.

I make a lot of small (2.5 gallons) experimental batches when I have time, so there is usually a 12er or 3 of something, well experimental.

We have 2 kids under 3 now, so I don't keep the steady pipeline I used to.

I think I may be an outlier here then.

I have 14 taps flowing nonstop at the walk-in, never empty. Though one is for cider, and one is for mead. I have a total of 90 kegs, and roughly 75 have something in them in the walk-in. I also have a jack daniel's barrel holding 55 gallons of a flander's red single vessel solera.

I also started a multi vessel barleywine solera two years ago using sankey kegs, and just started the brewing for the the second vessel this year (I'm doing a two year cadence for the brewing). I will keep this to 3 vessels, so this year I'm going to brew 25 gallons to ensure I have enough to completely fill a sankey keg and also displace 5 gallons of the sankey from two years ago. Once I have all three vessels filled, it will be about 45 gallons of barleywine aging, and then every two years, I only have to brew 5 gallons to displace in and out of the solera system.

At this point, I rarely ever feel the need to brew from running out, so I'm able to brew as I want and I can keep it fun with the brewing as well as the projects and gadgets that I like to build

I'm in the middle of a move. I have a ridiculous amount of fermented beverages on hand. Boxes. Most of it homemade. I switched to making beverages that can age around the time my wife and I realized that we were having a tiny roommate. I don't like to drink and dad, so stuff has been accumulating.

Back