How long will a starter be good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlanginDueces

Reaction score
So I was going to brew a lager today and I have a huge yeast starter waiting in the fridge to decant. Some things came up and it looks like I may have to wait to brew til next week. Will the starter still be good next week if I leave it in the fridge??

NB told me starters would be fine for a week if left in the fridge. I have never tried this, however.

I had a stater in the fridge for 10 days and it took off just fine 12 hours after pitching.

It'll be ok.

You can pull it out one day before let warm-up and add more beer wort to get it active.

I've always thought it was a good idea to make beer wort starters in mason jars. If I ever want to whip up a quick starter its no problem. In your case to kind of refresh an existing one.

Also, do you have a stirrer? It'd be good to have it on your stirrer ready to pitch.

There are several DIY threads on this and you can buy them.

I've stored my starters warm on the stir plate for a few days prior to brewing.

I have a plate and have been building the starter up all week which is why I don't want to lose all that work!

Right now it is in the flask in the refrigerator with foil covering the opening. I guess my plan will be to leave it as is until next Friday when I'll warm it up and hit it with some fresh wort then let it sit on the stir plate over night?

I have a plate and have been building the starter up all week which is why I don't want to lose all that work!

Right now it is in the flask in the refrigerator with foil covering the opening. I guess my plan will be to leave it as is until next Friday when I'll warm it up and hit it with some fresh wort then let it sit on the stir plate over night?

Good plan! Thats what I was advocating you do. Didn't know what exactly you had going.

FWIW - Often the problem is space, the starter vessel can't take another wort addition due to being full. If this was ever the case warm, aerated and adjatated is better than nothing or not bumping the volume.

To me a week is not a problem. Its still doing or eating that last 5% of sugars.

Latest posts

Back