How long to store refrigerated Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
Local homebrew club got together, and had a local brewery run a pale wort for the entire club to use for a competition. It was mashed Saturday, and due to scheduling conflicts I couldn't pick it up until today. It has been refrigerated in a starsan sanitized bucket, and kept at about 40 degrees. How long can I get away with storing it this way? I can possibly work in a boil tomorrow, but schedule wise Sunday would be much better.

Grain bill is 85% 2 row, 10% C40, and 5% carapils, with a starting gravity of 1.048 if that makes any difference.

What are you worried about happening to it? What did the brewery have to say? I've never stored unboiled wort but I'd imagine sugar water will remain sugar water for quite some time. Boiling will sterilize it so infection shouldn't be a concern.

If it was not brought up to a boil before being put in the bucket there is a decent chance you will get some souring the longer you leave it.

If it is cold you can prolong it but I would be surprised if you didn't already have a little something starting.

Back