How long to run irrigation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarMoeCur

Reaction score
I've got four plants doing pretty good. I've been running my irrigation for about 10 minutes everyday. It consist of Low Presser 1-20 gph bubblier heads on 1/4" line. I have them about 3/4 open. So, roughly 15 gph for 10 min (2.5g per day/17g week). As I read more on growing hops. I'm exceeding the recommended 1 gallon per plant per day for first year plants. I'm thinking about cutting back to 15 minutes twice a week (3.75g/7.5g per week).

What do y'all think? It been in the low 80's, I know I'll have to up it when the temperature starts getting into the 100's.

I had the same question 4 years ago when I started a garden. We get over 100 too in the summer. What I did was buy a moisture meter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CTPXXEE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

$7.99. The truth is, if you're anal like I am, there is no 1 setting for the whole year and you'll have to adjust your settings several times a year. Find out the pattern to keep your moisture 4-5 hours after watering and don't forget to mulch! Compost teas help with stress too.

From what I recall (I'm not gardening this year), the pattern was 10min in the morning and 10 in the evening with 1 GPH fed to the roots, and a soaker hose around longer beds. But this pattern was based on keeping the soil moist until about an hour or two before the next watering.

Did I ramble? You should have had my Black Krim Tomato Sauce cooked all day with ground beef, anise star, and worcestershire sauce. Went on pizza.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back