How Long to Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wort_Cleaver

Reaction score
I brewed a couple 5 gallon batches of beer for a summer party we're throwing in August. I have an IPA and a Saison - both around 7% ABV. To give them a little extra summer flavor, I decided to add fruit to both - fresh mangoes to the IPA, honeydew melon and cucumbers to the Saison.

Both batches were transferred from carboys to buckets and fruit was added to paint strainer bags which have now been sitting in the beer for the past 5 days. I plan to dryhop both batches as well.

My question is this - how long can the fruit be left sitting in the beer? I had intended to remove the strainer bags after one week and then dryhop with muslin bags for 7 days afterwards. But now I'm thinking it may be easier, and lessen any further risk of infection, to just drop the hops into the strainer bags which are already sitting in the beer holding the fruit. Then after an additional week, I could just pull fruit and hop mush out all together. Would the fruit get funky and rotten if left in the beer for 2 weeks as opposed to one?

Should be fine. For clean beers, I usually go about two weeks. For wild beers, I'll usually go at least a month. Just make sure it's weighted down so that it's not floating on the top. That's usually the only time you have to worry about mold...when the fruit is floating on the top.

Back