How long to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HH60gunner

Reaction score
Well I got my first keg kit last night so I'm now playing with it. I put my stout in and did the 30 psi for 5 min while sloshing it around then de-gassing to serving pressure. Although it's still not carb'd all the way yet. How long do you think it will take to carb all the way after doing the 30 psi for 5 then down to 11psi? Also if I had just put it straight up to serving psi from the beginning what's the average on that? I've got an IPA that should be ready in a week, but I'd like to serve it at a BBQ on the 5th. What do you think?

I recently finished drinking my first batch of beer which I kegged. Getting the beer carbonated only took a couple days but the beer tasted a lot better after about a week and a half in the keg. I let the keg sit in the basement (was around 45F down there at the time) on 20psi for a few days then 10psi.

It likely would have tasted even better after another week or two, but I couldn't wait that long.

If left on 30 psi, it should carb in about a week.

If on 11-12 psi, set and forget, more like 2 weeks. The amount of head space in the keg is a small factor. 4 gallons will carb a little faster than 5 gallons in the same size keg.

If the keg is chilled, 30PSI for a week will be too long. I put my kegs into the chiller and hook them up at 30PSI. 30-36 hours later I drop the PSI to 10-12 and figure 2 more days to proper carbonation.

If your kegs are room temperature…then the week at 30PSI may be about right. (It takes much longer for warm beer to absorb CO2).

Your stout will be better served at lower CO2 volumes.

If I'm doing multiple batches do I have to keep the tank on at 30psi the whole time, or can I hit the keg with 30psi and disconnect it from the tank so I can serve at lower temps for a different beer?

If I'm doing multiple batches do I have to keep the tank on at 30psi the whole time, or can I hit the keg with 30psi and disconnect it from the tank so I can serve at lower temps for a different beer?

Charging the keg once with 30PSI and then disconnecting will not do anything except seal your lid nice and tight. It is the constant exposure the the CO2 pressure that causes the gas to eventually absorb into solution.

How long does it take to carb a beer at around 33f @ 7 PSI (for 2.4 volumes target). Yes I have seen the charts, but this doesn't tell me how long it will take? I am talking about if you just set it and forget it.

This chart recommends 7-8 PSI @ 33F for 2.4vol. What happens if you carbonate at higher pressure?

At 7 psi... at least 1.5 weeks, probably more. I set psi to 20 for 1 night, then down to 12 for 4-5 nights, which is usually just enough time for my beer to clear up.

Back