How long is too long to cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keg2881

Reaction score
I brewed a batch at the beginning of November and have had it in my ferm chamber since then with the temp set at about 28* since the fermentation had finished. The finished beer has been sitting on the yeast since. I had intended to keg it up and get to drinking it, but life threw a few curve balls and all was forgotten. Will there be any effect on the beer for sitting on the yeast for soo long? Or will the temperature at which the beer has been stored at keep autolysis from happening?

And I'd like to state that I highly doubt any autolysis would have been noticeable in that short amount of time eve if it was still at fermentation temps. My experience is that leaving a beer on the yeast for 8 weeks is not a problem at all.

I just had the first glasses of a red that I kegged on Christmas day. It sat on yeast for 4 weeks past my normal bottling schedule (was on yeast for a total of 7 weeks) because I knew I was getting kegs for Christmas and I wanted to have a couple of beers ready to keg.

It was excellent.

Latest posts

Back