how long in primary for a heffe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I brewed a german wheat beer on wed and was wondering how long I should leave the beer in primary? I normally do a 3 week primary and then bottle (if I am dry hopping I will do a 2 week primary) The only problem is I will be leaving a day before the 3 weeks is up. Would it be OK to only leave the beer in primary for for 2 1/2 weeks? I know German wheat's are supposed to be consumed younger so maybe this is actually better?

Once fermentation is complete, I would bottle it. Take your gravity readings every day after you no longer see activity in your airlock. When the gravity remains the same for 3 days in a row (an admittedly somewhat arbitrary figure), you should be good to go. Don't worry about how many total days it has been in the primary.

I am a newbie...but I have brewed two Hefes now...and 2.5 weeks should be fine in the primary, before bottling.

Both of my hefes quit bubbling (blow off tube / airlock) after 1 week. I don't take gravity readings...(sorry)...

I used White labs yeast for both.

Patrick

First, have you takein SG readings and have they been the same (ie: has fermentation stopped). Next, how long will you be gone? If you're not going to be gone for 2 months, you can leave it in the primary till you get back. I bottled up a wheat beer last night that sat just over 3 weeks. Heck, I thought about letting it go another 2 weeks to clean up a bit more; however, I was wanting this ready in time for Thanksgiving weekend and needed the carboy for a New Years brew! If you will only be gone a week or so, I vote to leave it until you get back.

I usually do 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks in the bottle. Seems to work great for me. Hefe goes quick in my house. It's the only thing SWMBO drinks when it's available.

If a Hefe last longer than four week in my house it was a ten gallon batch or was not so good.

What yeast do you use?

I have tried WL300 (being consumed quickly), and WL380 (in the fermentor still).

I feel the WL300 has a bit too much banana for my liking.

Patrick

I did my first hefe with WLP300, but have since used Wyeast 3068. But then again, I loves me some estery hefe. If you're looking for less banana/clove try fermenting cooler.

I've used 300 and 3068. I prefer 3068 but keep using 300 because that is what my usual supplier has. 3068 seems to have a better banana/clove balance. I'm going to use 380 next year.

I fermented 300 in the low 60's and got a lot of banana. I fermented it at 68 and got a lot of banana. I have got clove from it but I don't know how. Clove is illusive.

hefe's usually go off and attenuate quick. since you dont worry about clearing with a weizen yeast, you can drink it as soon as the hydrometer tells you to. i like my hefeweizen really, really, fresh. banannas!!:ban::ban::ban:

Only the hydrometer knows for sure...;)

I usually do 2 weeks in the primary then secondary for about a week to get more of the yeast out of suspension.

If it get too clear I'll add some yeast back into the brew before bottling/kegging.

Only the hydrometer knows for sure...;)

I usually do 2 weeks in the primary then secondary for about a week to get more of the yeast out of suspension.

If it get too clear I'll add some yeast back into the brew before bottling/kegging.

why would you secondary a heffe?????

Latest posts

Back