How long does Pliny the elder stay good for realistically?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuBru

Reaction score
I made a trade and was told it was bottled on 2/14/14 ,must have misread it cause when it got here it says it was bottled on 1/8/14..way past its prime most people will say.. im sure it will still be good but just for knowlegde how long does a IPA/DIPA stay fresh for realistically? some people say a month to a month and a half and that just sounds unrealistic..the dude from alchemist say heady topper is not at its best until 10 weeks how about pliny?

Nevermind drank it already..was not great...whats the hype all about? had many many many DIPA's that dominate this...its crazy how people just thing something is amazing cause it got great reviews...hello plecebo how are you doing?

It's rare
Doesn't distribute far
Doesn't age well

Fresh and on tap it's pretty darn good.

Bottled, shipped, and stored under unknown conditions. Not so much.

i will be in cali this summer..i will see

It was the beer that started the style and is very hard to get, that alone explains the hype.

I have not had it myself, but I have heard that is is very good when it is fresh. I have also heard that it goes south pretty fast. How old was your bottle and do you know its history? If it was old or has been handled badly then it could be a poor representation of fresh Pliny. I've been tempted to brew a batch but I just don't care for high ABV beers and it would go bad before I drank 1/5 of the keg.

It was the beer that started the style and is very hard to get, that alone explains the hype.

I have not had it myself, but I have heard that is is very good when it is fresh. I have also heard that it goes south pretty fast. How old was your bottle and do you know its history? If it was old or has been handled badly then it could be a poor representation of fresh Pliny. I've been tempted to brew a batch but I just don't care for high ABV beers and it would go bad before I drank 1/5 of the keg.

its was not young and maybe its unfair of me to judge it..but i will be in cali this summer will see how it stacks up against heady topper when its fresh..cant see it even coming close..HT is the best DIPA i ever encountered due to the way its tastes not the allure surronding it

I thought pliny was pretty good both on draft at falling rock gabf week and in bottle. I've had lots of beers I thought weren't worthy of their reputation. Pliny was not one of them.

its was not young and maybe its unfair of me to judge it..but i will be in cali this summer will see how it stacks up against heady topper when its fresh..cant see it even coming close..HT is the best DIPA i ever encountered due to the way its tastes not the allure surronding it

I'm waiting to try heady. I have a feeling it's gonna go in the over hyped category.

You can feel that..but in my opinion it lives up to the hype...its a beautiful beer peach/apricot proper bitterness amazing mouth feel amazing aroma...god damn its good..you know after having all these great beers i feel better about my homebrew abilities, cause i feel my beers are just as good if not better then all these world class beers..all i need is a crap ton of money to open a pub or brewery and prove it

Well, to put it one way, I did a DIPA that mapped out to 28 oz of hops per half-barrel. That means that the hopping was 3.5#/bbl, or roughly halfway between where Stone Ruination (2.5#/bbl) and Stone RuinTen (5#/bbl) are. 10 oz were dry-hop, Columbus and Simcoe, and another 14 oz were 10 min, 5 min, or 0 min additions.

This was a hoppy beer.

I kept 10 gal for myself, and 5 gallons went to a buddy who brewed with me that day. Because insanely hoppy 9.6% ABV beers move slowly at my house, those 10 gallons lasted me about 5 months.

At kegging, the beer was beautiful. At 9.6% and with a significant malt bill, there were still so many hops to make the beer hop-forward. By the end of the 5 months, though, it was practically a barleywine. The hops had faded so much that the malt bill necessary to stand up to that many hops now became the dominant factor, and the hops second fiddle.

That experience taught me that freshness truly is key for such hoppy beers. Frankly, I'm not going to brew DIPAs any more (unless i get someone to split 5 gallons each with) because I just can't drink them fast enough to remain fresh...

I've had about 1/2 dozen bottles that were bootlegged into Utah by my wife from one of her Oregon trips.

The first couple were okay. That's when I discovered that I dislike simcoe in large quantities. In other words: good beer, not my favorite flavors. I lost one bottle in my cellar for 6 months. It turned really catty.

I've had about 1/2 dozen bottles that were bootlegged into Utah by my wife from one of her Oregon trips.

The first couple were okay. That's when I discovered that I dislike simcoe in large quantities. In other words: good beer, not my favorite flavors. I lost one bottle in my cellar for 6 months. It turned really catty.

bootlegged? so you are saying some people out there fill pliny bottles with homebrew and pass it off as pliny?

bootlegged? so you are saying some people out there fill pliny bottles with homebrew and pass it off as pliny?

Tax bootlegging.

It's still illegal to bring alcohol purchased out of Utah into Utah, even for personal consumption. A UHP cop used to sit in the parking lot of a liquor store in Evenston Wyoming and write down Utah license plates. Then he would radio back to another cop sitting at the Utah boarder who would pull them over as they crossed the State line and confiscate the alcohol.

The liquor tax in Utah is about 10x higher than Wyoming's.

Back