how long do i have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jefferym09

Reaction score
long story put short, used yeast that wasnt healthy, its been 2 days since i pitched it and it hasnt done a thing (it was close to expiration) was gonna pitch another one tonight, but the shop didnt have anymore of that yeast and the only substitute they had was expired as well. i'll have to get another yeast tomorrow from a different brew shop, but how much time do i have before the batch is in danger of infection? tomorrow when i pitch the new yeast will probably make it about 3 full days since my first pitch.

That all depends on your sanitation practices of course, but you're getting to the limit I'd be comfortable with. If the shop doesn't have the specific yeast you were looking for tomorrow, then I'd grab the closest acceptable alternative (dry or liquid) and get it going. Better to compromise on the yeast characteristics than risk it much longer. I'm guessing there were a few viable cells in the first pitch of yeast that are slowly growing. They may have enough of a head start to still give you some flavor effects even with a second yeast getting pitched tomorrow.

When you pitch tomorrow, if it still smells sweet and your sanitation is good, and the vessel was tightly sealed, you're probably ok.

If it's growing white strands and fuzzy bubbles or smells sour, better off dumping it. You basically have the perfect medium for growing nasties just sitting there.

Good lesson learned for starters and having some dry yeast packets on hand for these types of situations.

i woke up this morning to see that it has now started to ferment. 1/2 inch Krausen, bubbling every few seconds, but im still worried. If its already going, would pitching another yeast make any difference?

The signs of active fermentation that you are seeing indicate that there is a significant biomass present. Pitching more yeast at this point would have very little effect unless the yeast was substantially different then the first.

Pitching more yeast now is just a waste of money, and will have very little effect on the beer.

Reading the title of the OP I thought this was a carbon-monoxide thread. Glad it is only going to be beer as a result..RDHAHB.

ha nice. well its fermenting, just slow as hell. im assuming it wont attenuate well. so once it stops and i take a reading and it if it hasn't attenuated down, would pitching more yeast then finish it off? or is that still a waste of money?

You should have made a starter, especially if it was old yeast, but you'll be fine anyway. Sometimes stressed underpitched yeast do awesome things.

You could throw a little nutrient in there and definitely raise the temp up towards the upper end of the yeast's recommended range after a few days. I wouldn't pitch more yeast unless it totally stalls after a few weeks and you've already tried the other suggestions.

What yeast did you pitch? What is the OG of the wort and current wort temperature?
Maybe your wort was to cool for the yeast to start sooner.

1028 London Wyeast, OG was 1.060. temp is around 66 right now although i just bumped it up to about 70. ive done tihs batch once before and i came out great by keeping the temp at 65...

Back