How long are unmilled grains good for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKennett

Reaction score
I lost time for brewing due to the arrival of a tiny human and I might have some time to get back into it. I have unmilled grains I had previously purchased at the beginning of 2016 that have been stored in my basement. Chuck em and start fresh, or should they still be ok?

I lost time for brewing due to the arrival of a tiny human and I might have some time to get back into it. I have unmilled grains I had previously purchased at the beginning of 2016 that have been stored in my basement. Chuck em and start fresh, or should they still be ok?

Easiest way is to taste them and see how they are. How were they stored? If kept away from moisture, as in sealed up they should be fine. Anyways just eat some and see if they are still crunchy and not soft feeling or stale tasting.

Hi. Depends how they've been stored. If they were in a relatively tight container or sealed bag, they'll be fine. If they were out in the open, do the taste test. If they taste like stale crackers, pitch them. If they still have a nice sweet-grainy/bready flavor, they're probably just fine. If you're worried, you can always mix them half-n-half with new bought malt. I keep mine in sealed Ziploc Weather guard containers in the garage in the Memphis area. Look at the dates. They're still fine. Ed
:mug:

Grain.jpg

Give it a shot. I recall reading somewhere they should be good for quite some time(years). Worse case scenario is you have to dump it. So throw the grain out now, or throw the beer out later? At least if you brew it you gave it a chance. Maybe someone who stores grain longer than I (I'm at about 7 months at the longest so far) can give you a more definitive answer, but I would say it should be ok. What did you store them in anway? And how dry is your basement?

Congratulations, I am not an expert. I think it depends on how they were stored. I have read that most unmilled grain last a year. If stored in an air tight container can increase the time for another six months. I think the specialty grains last a little longer.

Thank you so much guys, I think I'm gonna give it a go. The grains were all in bags.

Yes, give it a go.
I was once given a sealed bag of US 2-row that was at least two years old when I got it.
Munched a couple of pinches and compared it to my own 2-row stock and couldn't really pick out anything different.
I used it all up in a couple of batches with no issues...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back