How important is grain crush for flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iduncant

Reaction score
I've got a question regarding grain crush. I only have a blender to work with and it's basically making a powder out of my grains. I'm doing BIAB all grain, so a stuck sparge isn't an issue for me.

However my beers are tasting... bad. Really not much more to say about it. Would investing in a grain mill drastically improve the flavor of my brews?

I'm not very interested in brewing competition beers, but i do want to make things that me and my friends would actually like to drink.

Any advice would be great.

Pulverizing the husks could definitely lead to astringency problems, with a heavy tannin flavor.

Crushing the grain, so that the husks aren't pulverized, with a grain mill or even a rolling pin, or maybe driving your car over the grainbag once or twice, would be preferable.

Or, buy your grain already crushed?

The other thing that may be at work here is your water chemistry. What's your water like?

I'm really not sure about the water, I live in a fairly old apartment with some questionable plumbing.

How would you describe the tannic flavor the husks produce?

Suck on a tea bag. It's about like that.

I agree with the above, by making flour of the grain (husks and all), you're asking for tannin and astringency issues. Try ordering (or picking up) your grain pre-milled (before you invest in your own mill), and see if the flavor problems disappear.

I would not argue with Yooper any day, so grinding in a blender could certainly be an issue. That being said if you have not considered your water I am going to guess you might not be controlling your fermentation temps properly or using enough yeast.

There are a few key items you need to consider to make decent beer. (Not saying you have to and not saying if yu don't do these you are guaranteed to make bad beer.)
1. Fermentation temp control - If you let your brew ferment at ambient temps in your place (say 70-75 F) you are fermenting too warm. While the yeast may say it can work at that temp it will likely be way better if you keep to the cool end of the range. Investigate ways to control temps. This can make a huge difference and is easily the easiest and cheapest way to improve your brews.
2. Pitch the right amount of yeast - Yes a smack pack CAN ferment a full 5 gallon batch, but the current accepted best practice is that creating a starter off your smack pack or vial will give you a more appropriate amount of yeast and help you produce better beers. You can make these in a growler too, so very little equipment is even needed.
3. Water chemistry can play havoc with flavors - If you are doing extract, you don't need to worry too much about this. However, if your water does not taste good plain, this flavor will come through in your beer too. You can always use store bought RO water or distilled. If you are doing all grain brewing you definitely need to consider your water chemistry. This will definitely have an impact on your beers, but not something you need to fix first honestly.

Grain crush is important but I know many who have been brewing for quite a while who do just fine with the crush from the LHBS. That would not be my first purchase. I still don't need one honestly and am a couple years into the hobby doing BIAB.

Hope this helps.

Many BIABers crush their grains as finely as they possibly can, as I do, so I would be surprised if this were the issue. Read some posts about BIAB and grain crush. Having said that, you can never go wrong listening to advice from Yooper, so...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would not argue with Yooper any day, so grinding in a blender could certainly be an issue. That being said if you have not considered your water I am going to guess you might not be controlling your fermentation temps properly or using enough yeast.

Thank you for that info, I suspect that this is having a very significant impact on my flavours. I actually tried a much more coarse crush for a batch, and while my extraction was just fine, the flavours i'm picking up were still present.

I think this is very much a temperature control issue.
I don't have any temperature control outside of my window mounted air conditioner. And while I can bring the temp down to 66, my girlfriend gets really mad about it when I do. Something about being cold. Anyways, where i live gets fairly hot outside around mid to high 80's most of the summer, so the temp inside will hover around 77.

My issue is space though, i've found functioning mini fridges i can buy for 30-50 dollars and put a temp control device on, but i haven't got anywhere to put it.

As for the pitch rate, i'm pretty sure i'm okay since i'm working in 1 to 2 gallon batches, nothing larger. I'm just pitching the whole vial. Would over pitching be a problem?

Yes, over-pitching can be a problem. Too many cells in there can weaken them because there's only so much food available. I use the Barley Crusher grain mill set at the factory .039". Gives a great crush for biab. My OG's are always higher than the recipe.

Many BIABers crush their grains as finely as they possibly can, as I do, so I would be surprised if this were the issue. Read some posts about BIAB and grain crush. Having said that, you can never go wrong listening to advice from Yooper, so...

Crushing their grains fine... but pulverizing them to a powder. I'd try brewing with pre-crushed grains to at least determine if that's part of the issue.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Since you have used different degrees of crush and got the off flavor, I would switch up your water. Try a batch with spring water from the store and if it is better your water would be the problem.

I use a Corona style grain mill. You can get them for about $25-$35.

If you can't swing a minifridge for temperature control, try a swamp cooler. 77 ambient could allow your fermentation temperature to rise to 87 degrees which will also lead to off flavors.

Latest posts

Back