How I cleaned my bottle is this ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2

Reaction score
I cleaned my bottle with hot tap water,got all the labels off to? Was going to put in my dishwasher to santaize but realized that I have jet dry still in the dishwasher. So I will sanitize in a two gallon bucket just before I bottle Sunday. Is this ok

I'm a big fan of an oxyclean soak for cleaning them. Simple and very effective. What kind of sanitizer did you use in the bucket?

Yeah, running them through the dishwasher can leave detergent residue that will kill the head retention in your finished product. Soaking in Starsan solution will do the trick.

I always use the dishwasher. Lasted time I just ran oxy clean in the first wash then when it was on the second wash I put some star San in. Then it rinsed and had a heated dry. Works great for me every time. One thing is make sure you rinse before and everything is out of the bottle.

:)cheers.

I've done a fair amount of research on bottle cleaning and sanitizing and I find most people use the dishwasher. I have concerns with that. Even though it says sterilize, and it will sterilize most things, I strongly doubt it sterilizes bottles. The water will not get up into the bottles. I also read about an experiment where someone was able grow cultures from "sterilized" bottles in the dishwasher. However, most people do use it without issue. I use the oven. I find it to be very easy. I clean the bottles first than with aluminum foil and put them in the oven very slowly take it up to 300 deg. and then slowly drop the temp back down. Fast temp changes will break the bottles.

Isn't starsan not as effective.when it dries?
Why not just wash with pbw/oxy and dry it and store it. Do quick starsan soak as you bottle.

I use a bottle tree.vinator,& super agata bench capper,all by Ferrari (haha,I've got 3 Ferraries!). I use PBW at 1.5oz per gallon of water to soak bottles in overnight,then a quick easy scrub with a bottle brush & dobie to clean'em inside & out. Onto the bottle tree to dry before storing in covered craft 12 pack boxes. I fill the vinator about half full on bottling day,sanitizing 45 bottles at a time right before filling. works fine everytime.

Here are some threads and an article with a lot of good info on cleaning and sanitizing bottles:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/best-practices-washing-bottles-how-do-you-do-281913/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/procedures-cleaning-bottles-284252/
http://blog.bullcityhomebrew.com/?p=340

For me it depends on whether they are of questionable cleanliness. If questionable, I give them an oxi soak, then a hot jet washer rinse. For bottles just used, I give a triple hot water rinse immediately after pouring. Either way, they get a vinator star san rinse when bottling.

Latest posts

Back