How fast can you...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Island Brewer

An Ode to Beer
Reaction score
... make love?
... go fishing?
... watch a movie?
... drink a beer?

If this seems like a stupid question, I pose that it is equally stupid to ask "Has fast can you brew?" as if brewing is so miserable that we need to do it in the least amount of time possible.

If you want beer fast, go buy it...

... make love? Over before it bagan.
... go fishing? Two trout.
... watch a movie? Hour and a half to two hours.
... drink a beer? 7 seconds.

What'd I win?

... make love?
... go fishing?
... watch a movie?
... drink a beer?

If this seems like a stupid question, I pose that it is equally stupid to ask "Has fast can you brew?" as if brewing is so miserable that we need to do it in the least amount of time possible.

If you want beer fast, go buy it...

Since I'm a dedicated multitasker, I can do all of those at the same time. :D

I don't really think too much about the time I spend on my hobbies. But I think the folks who are concerned about it have kids and families and jobs and chores and to make time for it all (without shortchanging the family) is the issue. Since I have no kids at home, am pretty much retired (unless I want to work a little), and all the time in the world, taking 5 hours for a brewday isn't a big deal.

Sometimes all you have time for is a quickie...
But do you brag about being really, really fast? ;)

I totally get that people have time limitations, I just get weary of speed being held up as a Holy Grail. When I brew, I love the time I spend doing it.

Glad I posted this in the Drunken Ramblings last night... at least I got it in the right forum.

But do you brag about being really, really fast? ;)

I totally get that people have time limitations, I just get weary of speed being held up as a Holy Grail. When I brew, I love the time I spend doing it.

Glad I posted this in the Drunken Ramblings last night... at least I got it in the right forum.
I savor the time brewing and it never gets tedious. Some people think 4 to 4 1/2 hours is way too much time to spend on beer but I after working a job where everything is calendar oriented, I like taking my time.

As for the other items on the list, I agree, sometimes a quickee is all you have time for.

Yooper hits it on the head. As a working father who often inexplicably volunteers to help others against his better judgement, I rarely feel like I have quality time to spend on a brewday (and the associated prep time and satellite functions.)

It's not that I WANT to rush through a brew, but I do take family time seriously and am often helping fix up a house, set up a stage for the local theater group, fix someone's computer etc.

A brew day ALWAYS seems to go better when I can take my time. I often choose not to brew because I don't want to feel rushed.

SO - If I can shave off a bit of time without sacrificing the finished beer, I might feel like I can relax some knowing that I have time to do a good job, clean up, and maybe help with household chores, or head over to my mom's house to work on her bathroom remodel, or whatever. It's all the better.

So far I haven't found too many useful time hacks other than
A) prep the equipment and ingredients the day before
B) clean and prep during mash and boil
C) don't drink during the brew

Ok, I gotta go. I have to figure up the recipe for a half batch of Pliny...

I didn't think the thread about asking how fast you can brew was stupid. Some people try to manage their time better than others. Me, I usually have no place to be on brew day so I take as long as I want. Sunday I took over 6 hours. I stopped after the boil to get a beer and a burger out, I drank whatever I wanted, and just took my time. It all went very well. I've been rushed once and it turned out badly.

Oh, I've yet to catch a fish but it takes me 5 minutes to get to the lake by car. Sex, it takes as long as it takes, if I recall, watch a movie...whatever the run time says, drink a beer...it varies. :D

I responded in great detail about the time it takes in that thread about asking how fast....and I guess the irony of that was lost. I could easily have given a quick answer....I choose to go to great length because I was trying to emphasize the point in a subliminal way(evidently poorly) that time doesn't really matter......

Given that, I do attempt to shorten my time because it's my compulsive habit from my work. I work in manufacturing...eliminating wasted time is primary. Making beer is a form of manufacturing. I can't help it that my work habits cross into my hobby habits. Likewise, I continue to tinker with the equipment for efficiency, both speed and conversion.

Quickies don't happen much at my age:eek:
Last time I went fishing, I spent 4 hours and caught one fish and enjoyed the day
Movies....I fail to understand how you can even alter the time....
Brewing....it takes what it takes....."What hasn't happened yet, hasn't happened." sorry, Bill Belichick

Back