How does this IPA sound?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin0782

Reaction score
Partial Mash Simcoe/Centennial IPA

Grains/DME
5 lbs American 2-row
1 lb Munich 10
4.5 lbs Briess Golden DME

Hops
1 oz Nugget @ 60
1 oz Simcoe @ 20
.5 oz Simcoe @ 10
.5 oz Centennial @ 10
.5 oz Simcoe @ 5
.5 oz Centennial @ 5
2 oz Centennial @ Flameout (Steep 15 minutes)
2 oz Simcoe Dry Hop
1 oz Cascade Dry Hop

Yeast
US-05

With my efficiency numbers it should be around 1.064 and 1.010 for 7% or so.

Looks great, I'm a big fan of the 90 min boil you get more bitterness and I usually skip the flame out additions if I'm gonna do a big dry hop try adding the centennial to the dry hops and split your dry hopping into two additions first one for 7-14 days second 5 days till bottles or keg

Looks good as is. Should work out well.

However, if I were to change anything it would be to move the 20min 1oz Simcoe to flameout. With the 15minute steep you still get plenty of IBU's.

Hop schedule is always something I wonder about. I was hoping to get a lot of flavor from the Simcoe at 20 min. Some say to skip flameout, some say to hit it hard at that point. I'm unsure. My latest IPA that I'm drinking now, has a decent aroma but I wish it was stronger. I skipped the flameout and went with 2 oz Amarillo dry hop. My best IPA to date had 2 oz at flameout and 2 oz of dry hop. The dry was Citra though, and to my understanding that's a potent hop. That aroma lasted the whole keg. I love a big aroma, so I figured I'd go with both again this time around.

IMHO I find the best aroma in my ipa comes from hop additions at flameout, whirlpool, and dry hop. Huge aroma that way

Well, I brewed as I wrote in the original post. Only hit 1.058, did get 1.010 though for 6.3%. Just kegged it last night, it smelled and tasted fantastic. Can't wait for this one to carb up. Might be my best to date.

Back