How does this Belgianesque Recipe Look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKing

Reaction score
8 lbs Briess Brewers Malt (1.8 SRM)
2 lbs Dingemans Munich (6.0 SRM) Grain
2 lbs Dingemans Wheat (2.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Dingemans Caramunich (50.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min)
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (2 min)
12.0 oz Corn Sugar
1 Pkgs SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL Yeast #T-58) Yeast-Ale

So my main motivation for this recipe is to try out the T-58 dry yeast and see what it's like.
Figured I'd try something fairly light and neutral, but wanted it to lean towards a Belgian Pale Ale / Saison type beer.
Also wanted to try out the Dingeman malts carried by my LHBS along with the Brewers Malt.
Hops are subjective, I'm open to suggestions.
I'm also not sure what type or how much sugar to use (if any should be used at all). Don't want to dry it out too much, but thought maybe some honey or corn sugar might be a nice addition.

I typically collect 7 gallons, boil for 75 minutes, and end up with 5.5 gallons in primary.

Please help me out with some feedback!

It's a recipe, and may produce a fine beer.

Want to produce a Belgian? Ditch the Caramunich (no crystal). The Munich is OK, will add some malt flavor.

I like my Belgians to come out dry. I would say you are low on the sugar. I just use plain table sugar, and use it between 15 and 20% for a Belgian. If the yeast does its job, it will have a lot of flavor, and you won't want it sweet. The drier it is, the more drinkable it is.

Hops are usually background. Often English, but those are OK. I like to get the IBUs to about 20 to 30 for Belgians. I don't know what that will give you.

I've never used T58. I have lots of liquids available. Looks like it is a low attenuator, so would recommend up to 20% sugar (if you can bring yourself to add that much). I would start around mid 60s, and raise it gradually to it's max limit (looks like 77 F) within about 5 days, and then after that (when you think it is done), take it up to about 80+ F for a few days.

Good luck.

The caramunich only serves to add some color, but I could leave it out.
Will probably go up to 10% sugar max, good to know it can be more.
IBU's will end up around 25 which is my target.

Thanks for the tips.

Latest posts

Back