How do you switch from recirc to sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calebgk

Wishy-washy
Reaction score
In the seemingly eternal road of upgrades to my brewery, I'm looking to employ my pumps more. For years, I've batch sparged, but I have fly sparged in the past with gravity. I've got two Chuggers now, fitted with camlocks.

The question is really about how you vorlauf with a pump, and then start moving wort to the kettle during sparge. Do you just move the hose over? Do you recirc thru the sparge arm? Do any of you use a manifold/3-way valve?

Related, how do you guys recirc/whirlpool in the kettle, and then out to the chiller? Do you recirc thru the chiller? If so, how do you move from that to collecting in the fermenter?

I've got my own techniques for recirculating thru mash and the kettle, but I'm sure they are not the best, as each brew day just doesn't feel refined enough to satisfy me.

Related, how do you guys recirc/whirlpool in the kettle, and then out to the chiller? Do you recirc thru the chiller? If so, how do you move from that to collecting in the fermenter?

I've got my own techniques for recirculating thru mash and the kettle, but I'm sure they are not the best, as each brew day just doesn't feel refined enough to satisfy me.

I have quick disconnects, and two pumps, so I go easily from HLT to HERMS coil to MLT, to recirculating, to BK, to chiller, to fermenter, etc.

I just change up the hoses with the QD parts, and do whatever I want with them.

Alright. This is what I was looking for. I know how I can do it, but wanted to poll a bit and see what ways have worked best for others, possibly with pros or cons. I like the idea of the 3-way valves, with the potential for hard plumbing.

Fwiw I have quick disconnects on the 3 way valves if I have to move hoses around. I try not to so I can minimize loss and mess on the floor.

Use a delivery device that works for both recirculation and sparging. You don't need spinning things, or sprinkling things with small openings. You just need it to be delivered to the top of the grain bed without too much gravity fall.

In that way, recirc to sparge is simply moving the pump input hose from the MLT drain to the HLT drain.

Latest posts

Back