How do YOU cook your chicken wings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrdinaryAvgGuy

Reaction score
I know a lot of folks are grilling this super bowl Sunday. I actually have a few dozen wings on the grill myself. I use to burn my wings until they were crispy black until I discovered this method.

1. Heat grill on high (gas in my case) and rub veggie oil on grate using paper towel and tongs
  2. salt and pepper wings straight out of pack
  3. drop heat to low low and cook 2 hours, flipping every 20 mins or so
  4. rotate to ensure even cooking
  5. brush on your favorite BBQ sauce and cook for additional 20 mins

Delicious.

Now, lets hear how you do it.
img_20140202_2005431-62040.html

IMG_20140202_200543.jpg

If not on the grill, in a cast iron pan. Dry rub then at flameout, a dose of sauce. Tonight it's suicide sauce from The Anchor Bar in buffalo.

If not on the grill, in a cast iron pan. Dry rub then at flameout, a dose of sauce. Tonight it's suicide sauce from The Anchor Bar in buffalo.

What heat do you cook them on and for how long?

BTW, I prop my lid 6" or so using a stick so that they don't cook too fast.

I usually take them out of the package place them on a plate and put them in the microwave. :eek:

I have done Jamaican Jerk wings. Baked in the oven until golden brown. Never tried the grill. But, low heat and longer. Other wise - burnt or dry!

I usually take them out of the package place them on a plate and put them in the microwave. :eek:

I have done Jamaican Jerk wings. Baked in the oven until golden brown. Never tried the grill. But, low heat and longer. Other wise - burnt or dry!

Never microwaved wings but I suppose this could work in a pinch.

I smoke them on the WSM with Cherry wood after brining several hours in Roadside Chicken Brine then flash fry them in peanut oil. I toss them in sauce after the fry. Crispy and smoky. Yum.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I make lots of sauce and braise in the oven for 75 minutes, flipping every 25.

I set up the kettle for 400° indirect cooking, I use one fist sized chunk of apple or cherry in the charcoal, coat the wings in any rub you like, preferrably low sugar, cook indirect till an IT of 160, then start dunking the wings in texas pete wing sauce (that has been simmered with two heaping tablespoons of fresh minced garlic, fine chopped green onion, and one medium fresh jalapeno). The wings go back on the grill for 10 min each time to set the sauce. After four dunks I flip em a few times direct over the fire for a little char, not too much. then remove them from the grill back to the dunking bowl and recoat them for serving (thats why I wait till and IT of 160 before I start dunking). And no, I do not use any butter or oil in the sauce.

Wings.jpg

I set up the kettle for 400° indirect cooking, I use one fist sized chunk of apple or cherry in the charcoal, coat the wings in any rub you like, preferrably low sugar, cook indirect till an IT of 160, then start dunking the wings in texas pete wing sauce (that has been simmered with two heaping tablespoons of fresh minced garlic, fine chopped green onion, and one medium fresh jalapeno). The wings go back on the grill for 10 min each time to set the sauce. After four dunks I flip em a few times direct over the fire for a little char, not too much. then remove them from the grill back to the dunking bowl and recoat them for serving (thats why I wait till and IT of 160 before I start dunking)

Daymn.... Those look awesome!

Bake 3/4 done then finish them of with a quick deep fry and sauce !

Throw e'm in the oven at 450F for 45 mins, then add my sauce and combine in a bowl. Gives them the nice texture that reminds me of deep fried wings, only...they aren't fried. It's magic!

My wife makes'em the same way she did in the hot deli at Giant Eagle. Everybody would by the wings,pizzas or subs if she made them. anyway,she rolls them in seasoned flour then fries them till golden brown & crispy. then into a bowl with sauce & flip'em around to coat. We were using sauce from buffalo wild wings that we all liked. Need a new frier...

Im making my first ever buffalo strips/tenders. Healthier version, baked, still will taste good. Im very shure of it. butter and franks hot sauce? you cant lose.

I only make Buffalo wings - my style

I start with chicken wings, outer part of the wing cut off.. more like a miniature drumstick

Paper grocery bag with flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder.

Toss the wings in the bag and shake to coat.

Place the wings in a deep frier. Not sure the temp. It's self maintaining and works well

For the sauce.
A stick of butter
A bottle of hot sauce, but never tobasco sauce. Put the two into a microwave to melt the butter.

Give the wings a swim in the hot sauce butter. Remove. Sit them on a wire rack a few minutes to cool.

Extreme deliciousness

Eat

If you are gonna dredge them in something before frying, corn starch is the only way to go. It doesn't brown like flour, but once sauced it looks exactly the same and STAYS crispy.

Ignore the messy ottoman please, but these were the wings I fried up yesterday

1610059_10152090621303961_1557769195_n.jpg

They were great, not my normal wings, I did a naked fry. My best wings is something like this though

Mix cornstarch, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Coat wings in the mix and fry until golden brown.

These were good, they just weren't as good.

The sauce I make is likely different every time but follows a general set of ingredients.

Butter (this one I used half a stick)
Franks hot sauce (want something for that wing color and for some flavor)
Other hot sauce for heat (optional, but I always do it. Yesterday was just a dash or 2 of ghost chili sauce, usually it's heavy handed tabasco)
Dry spices (Cayenne, red chili flake, etc.)
Brown sugar

Basically my goal of my sauce is to hit you with all kinds of heat. Not just front of mouth heat or afterburn. The sugar is for balance so that the heat builds. You get some hot heat up front but not too much then builds.

If you are gonna dredge them in something before frying, corn starch is the only way to go. It doesn't brown like flour, but once sauced it looks exactly the same and STAYS crispy.

I didn't know that cheezy but do appreciate the tip. I'll try cornstarch next time instead of flour

Ignore the messy ottoman please, but these were the wings I fried up yesterday

1610059_10152090621303961_1557769195_n.jpg

They were great, not my normal wings, I did a naked fry. My best wings is something like this though

Mix cornstarch, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Coat wings in the mix and fry until golden brown.

These were good, they just weren't as good.

The sauce I make is likely different every time but follows a general set of ingredients.

Butter (this one I used half a stick)
Franks hot sauce (want something for that wing color and for some flavor)
Other hot sauce for heat (optional, but I always do it. Yesterday was just a dash or 2 of ghost chili sauce, usually it's heavy handed tabasco)
Dry spices (Cayenne, red chili flake, etc.)
Brown sugar

Basically my goal of my sauce is to hit you with all kinds of heat. Not just front of mouth heat or afterburn. The sugar is for balance so that the heat builds. You get some hot heat up front but not too much then builds.

Lov'n this thread more and more. Great tips HHH

I've also heard that corn starch is the way to go. It's been a while since I've had fried wings but I'll have to try this next time. :mug:

My Favorite way is on the big green egg with indirect setup and apple wood chunks. cook about 45 min to 1 hour over a drip pan and they will be just as crispy as if they were fried. Then toss with your favorite sauce (I love Moores wing sauce). Ever since I started making them this way it is hard to eat wings out.

......My jerk wing recipe is hands down the best wings I have ever had/made. Grilled maybe 45 min with a little smoke.

Offhand:

soy sauce
oil
vinegar
tabasco
diced garlic
diced onion
sliced green onion
thyme
clove
allspice
CINNAMON
salt
black pepper
pickled jalapenos

I think that is it. will amend later if I am missing anything.

Marinate 24 hours, grill direct heat.

Back