How Do I Use These Pins for Anchoring Trellis Twine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
At least I think they're pins for anchoring the twine into the soil…

The soil temp here finally reached the point where the bines emerged from the ground earlier this week (I live way, way Upstate New York, so spring comes pretty late here). I ordered rhizomes from MoreBeer and they came with twine and these anchors. Does anyone know how I'm supposed to use them? Or maybe they're for some other purpose?

I haven't decided yet whether to even put the twine up in the first year--I hear mixed advice. I doubt I'll get a lot of cones but maybe enough for one batch?

IMG_0552.png

Wonder why it's bent at the pointy end? To fit in box?
Anyway, yes they anchor the twine to the ground. I'd use them for first year hops as they want to climb. Just let em grow.
I cut drop ceiling wire to use on mine.

Thanks. Yeah, the bent end is confusing but the circular end seems designed to hold twine. We'll see how it goes.

In case anyone stumbles over this thread looking for an answer to the same question, here's a clip in action. Hops need to grow another couple of inches before I'll be able to get them to start wrapping around the twine.

IMG_0556.png

Don't be surprised if you get a few ounces of hop cones the first year. Not all of mine produced the first year, but a couple of them gave me several ounces.

What are you growing? I have (In alphabetical order, and planted that way. Yes, I have a touch of OCD) Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Columbus, Hallertau, Northern Brewer, Nugget, and Willamette. The Chinook and Nugget produced a few ounces each the first year.

Just Cascade and Chinook for now. I’m hoping for enough for one brewing session this first year. We’ll see how it goes.

Back