How do I use my Perlick Flow Control?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceyaquarius

Reaction score
Dumb question I know. Got the Perlick Flow Control (pics below) chrome version. So it is just a matter of choosing how much head you want in your pint? Or does it actually change the amount of CO2 in your pint?

I started with the lever towards me (glass 40% head), then moved it to straight up (no head at all). I think I read something about how some people on HBT adjust the lever as the pint is poured? :confused:

"Dial A Head" would be about right. Turn the lever to the position that makes you happy with the result.

The faucet will not change the carbonation level per se - that's dependent on temperature vs CO2 pressure at the keg. If you are actually in control of it, you always trade head for some amount of carbonation and vice versa. (Note the "control" part - unbalanced dispensing system issues do not apply here)...

Cheers!

Cool. Drinking a Belgian Wheat Ale right now and I think I'm just getting about 25% head after the draft tower warms up, then I pour a 2nd glass for the little woman and she gets perfect head (lol).

I have the USB fan running and even the passive cooling copper tubes running into the draft tower.

I guess my question is - if the draft tower is a little warm, do I push the lever towards me or away from me to create less foam? I mean, can the lever adjust head for temperature? Hmmm.

(kegerator around 38 F, Belgian Wheat Ale, 11 feet of Bevlex barrier tubing)

You'll have to experiment and let us know :)
I'd think whichever direction slows the flow would be a good start.
Get your head from the warm tower lines - can't be more than an ounce of beer there at the beginning of the pour - then pour the rest quietly...

Cheers!

That helps a little bit, watching the video. All the way down (20 degree negative angle) gives you less head, while a 30 degree positive angle (if you're looking at it horizontally) gives you the most head and it feels - I mean tastes - heady. I mean... well, you know.

So all the way down is full off, then moving upwards it is 100% on and then if you keep pushing the lever back (forwards away from you) it begins to restrict again. I like the setup though...

I don't think the flow control can compensate for warm beer lines. (yes they are at 39F and inside a kegerator)

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused:Here's an idea.

I wonder if the Bevlex barrier tubing needs more cooling in the draft tower than my earlier PVC vinyl tubing needed in order to not fill up the first pint with 40% foam?

Seems like the glass-like barrier may insulate the beer in the line from cooling more than the vinyl PVC tubing would. Yes I do have a PC fan running and is pointed upwards in the kegerator, and also have the "passive cooling" copper tubing surrounding the beer lines that travel into the draft tower, and even 2 more copper tubes that travel into the tower just to transfer more cooler temps into the draft tower.

Still... 40% of foam on each and every pour (unless it is 2 pours in a row and there is perfect foam on the 2nd pour).

fwiw, if you recently changed lines from typical PVC beer tubing to Bev-Seal Ultra and didn't make the lines considerably longer, you may be fighting "short line syndrome" that makes everything critical (like, if the lines warm up just a wee bit between pours). The Bev-Seal Ultra lines are incredibly slick inside, and I've read of folks who went with 20' to solve their pour problems...

Cheers!

[ps: "Bevlex-200" isn't barrier tubing, it's just high-end PVC...)

Sure, the Bevlex is more slick but isn't the whole point of the flow control faucet is the ability to pour a perfect glass every time? That's how it is advertised anyway.

Sure, the Bevlex is more slick but isn't the whole point of the flow control faucet is the ability to pour a perfect glass every time? That's how it is advertised anyway.

You're right about that. But there hasn't been a lot written here about the 545 in actual use, so not much to draw on to know how well it really works with various line lengths...

Cheers!

Cool. Undiscovered Country.

I have 3 kegs on the Bevlex barrier tubing. Only one keg has the Perlick 545 flow control faucet.

The Shock-Top Belgian Wit Clone worked perfectly with it at a 30 degree positive angle.

The Blue Moon Belgian Wit Clone produced way too much head at 30 degrees positive, slightly less at 90 degrees positive (straight up), but still too much head.

After switching the Blue Moon back to a regular Perlick stainless steel faucet it was back to normal head. Not sure why.

I'll keep trying different types of beer with the different faucets. Let's just call it "research" LOL.:tank:

I use 20 feet of Bevlex Barrier tubing at normal carb vols, and I'll still throw a mixer stick or two in the dip tube to slow things down.

Sometimes it's overkill, and my pour is at times a little too slow for the carb vol with little head, but I don't mind that much. At least the beer is carbed, and isn't all foam.

Ok, so the Bevlex lines have less resistance and seem to need longer lines (about double vs. PVC) but why does a 2nd glass poured right after a first glass have no foam issues?

It's because your lines are warmer than the beer. This causes co2 to be released from the beer. Once that first pour is done it cools the line down. That's why your second pour is better.

This is pretty typical and happens on my system also. Adding fans to your keezer can help with stratification of the air. I have one fan, and might add another in the future, but it's not a priority for me right now.

Yeah, I have one PC fan blowing into the draft tower, plus copper tubing surrounding the Bevlex lines. I guess it just doesn't cool the tower enough.

Latest posts

Back