How do I stop the ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHogDeluxe

Reaction score
Long time beer brewer here, first mead.

So this is going into week 5 and I still have movement. Will this settle down with time or do I need to do something to help?
20180722_085741.jpeg
20180723_053344.jpeg

Did you use yeast nutrients? If so, when? How much?

Mine take a while to drop clear. For 5 weeks that looks good. There are things you can do to help that process along, but you don't *need* to if you can afford to be patient.

Did you use yeast nutrients? If so, when? How much?

Mine take a while to drop clear. For 5 weeks that looks good. There are things you can do to help that process along, but you don't *need* to if you can afford to be patient.
Ok that is good to know. I used a half teaspoon per 5 gal as the directions said when I was heating the honey/water mixture. I just noticed it is a beer yeast nutrient. If that makes a difference?

I'm sure there are differences between beer and wine yeast nutrients, but I don't know what exactly those are. Judging by the top photo I think it is working out fine.

Ok...now 7 weeks in and particulates are still moving around pretty good with no settling in sight. Bubbles still coming throgh lock occasionally. The house stays at 78 degrees, could this have something to do with it? There is actually some cake floating at the top of the bottles, so like I said no settling in sight.

Any ideas?

Relax, don’t worry, have a Homebrew.
Back to your question, time is your friend. Take a hydrometer sample. Wait 3 days, take another. No change, it’s probably done. If it’s still fermenting, relax. It’s hard to stop an active fermentation. Using chemicals MAY work. I wouldn’t chance it.

Ok...now 7 weeks in and particulates are still moving around pretty good with no settling in sight. Bubbles still coming throgh lock occasionally. The house stays at 78 degrees, could this have something to do with it? There is actually some cake floating at the top of the bottles, so like I said no settling in sight.

Any ideas?

I haven't made a mead yet that was finished and clear in less than 2 months. As Tom said, hydrometer readings are the only way to know if it's still fermenting, but once it's done it still takes time to clear. Cold crashing can help with that, and there are fining agents that can be used also.

Mead ain't beer.

Latest posts

Back