How deep of a raised bed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TowsonTiger22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a house early this year, and didn't really look at the soil too much. Well, I've got good ol' clay. So I'll be doing all my gardening in raised beds. I was thinking of using just 1 row of 2x10's. Will this be deep enough for my hops?

They'll grow into the clay no matter how tall it is. Just as long as you give them enough good soil they'll be happy. I think 10" would be find, and a good size for most vegetables too.

our land is solid clay. we made raised beds out of 2x10, sunk the wood about 2 inches into the ground, then dug out inside about a half-foot down (dumped that clay at the back of the lot). filled the dug-out beds with an inch of good soil, then raked it into the clay to create a transition layer between good & bad soil. then covered with the good stuff. last year's tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, etc were pretty happy with that combo, i suspect that hops will be too. i will confirm in about 6 months :)

If containment is the goal, forget it!;)

if weed management and back saving is the goal, the higher the better, 12 inches is miraculously better than flush on the ground.

Back