How Can I Watch the Olympics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuljin

I come from the water
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We want to watch the 2016 Olympics. We have Amazon Fire. We do not have cable or satellite TV. No Time Warner, Charter, Cox, Dish or Direct TV packages. We downloaded the NBC Olympic app, but it looks like it wants to confirm a cable or satellite subscription service. We've tried YouTube. Not much there. We also have a set of rabbit ears and a converter. Our particular interest is in sabre fencing.

Thanks.

You should be able to get network TV (including HD) over the air. Do you have an antenna?

I remember watching the 2004 (?) olympics in HD. Probably the only one on my block for sure. Came in over the air, on a huge antenna I have.

Problem is, I can't get NBC to come in OTA. I can get 10-14 channels, but not NBC. Sucks because most of the channels here come from near the same location. The FCC site says NBC has a strong signal in my area. Too bad WFAA doesn't have Olympics. I get three WFAA channels.

Screw NBC! I can only watch 25 minutes of streamed video without a subscription. Screw them. Screw the Olympics for being in cahoots with them. And screw the FCC for lots of reasons.

We want to watch the 2016 Olympics. We have Amazon Fire. We do not have cable or satellite TV. No Time Warner, Charter, Cox, Dish or Direct TV packages. We downloaded the NBC Olympic app, but it looks like it wants to confirm a cable or satellite subscription service. We've tried YouTube. Not much there. We also have a set of rabbit ears and a converter. Our particular interest is in sabre fencing.

Thanks.

Same boat. If I had a satellite/ cable subscription, why would I need this app?

Streaming fits well with the way I watch TV except for sports.

"The first row" - Google it. P2P sports.

Also, you'll want to run an adblocker when using that service. Most of the feeds will be in English, but you may have another language depending on the sport. Sometimes, there's no commentary, just the satellite feed.

It's particularly useful when you want to watch the non-mainstream sports... like sabre fencing.

For when the wife and kids are watching on the TVs.

Or for when they are using both tuners on the Dish.

Or if you are playing World of Warcraft at your computer and want to stream the Olympics on your second monitor.

I wasn't even going to watch the Olympics this time, but then I remembered Women's Beach Volleyball...

All my boys asked why do they dress like that. "Half-naked" my seven year old called it. I didn't know what to say. Not family friendly entertainment I guess.

That made me laugh, because when your boys were younger they were always naked (or just in their underwear anyway) whenever I'd see them! They should just know that being half-naked must be more comfortable.

Streaming fits well with the way I watch TV except for sports.

Well the app isn't just a stream of what's on TV...it's a totally different thing. Do you know anyone with cable? See if they'll log you in

Sling TV app. Streams live Tv. Free first week one you sign up. Orange or blue tier, one of them has NBC, NBC Sports, and USA which are all airing olympics

For when the wife and kids are watching on the TVs.

Or for when they are using both tuners on the Dish.

Or if you are playing World of Warcraft at your computer and want to stream the Olympics on your second monitor.

I wasn't even going to watch the Olympics this time, but then I remembered Women's Beach Volleyball...

I could do all that when I had Direct TV. They also had an interactive channel that showed what every channel that covered the olympics was playing at the time, highlight any one of them for the sound, instantly jump back and forth to a station, or let you watch picture in a picture.

The point I was making is that I got Amazon Prime and Fire TV so I wouldn't have to pay for satellite/ cable.

Latest posts

Back